Alkaline Test: How to Test Your pH Level (Saliva & Urine)

Note: New and Updated pH Test with Downloadable Cheat Sheet Available Here

On looking through my logs as to how people are finding our blog, it seems lots of people want to know how to do a pH level test. It only dawned on me that I have only really covered this in one place out of the entire blog and main energiseforlife.com site!

So, to give you a good, definitive guide to testing the pH level of your saliva and urine:

Testing your pH Level with Saliva or Urine

It is good practice to either test 1 hour before or 2 hours after eating. If testing your saliva, it is a good idea to try to fill your mouth with saliva and then swallow. This helps remove any acidic bacteria that might be lurking. Do not try to wash your mouth out with anything else as this will simply record the alkalinity of the water/liquid you have just used.

For testing urine, let some urine flow before testing as this will give more of an average reading.

It is also a good idea to test 2-3 times in a day in order to get an average, as first thing in the morning the body has retained fluids over a long period of time and it will engage in different processes to remove acid wastes from the body throughout the day (depending on activity and diet).

Why the Differences and Fluctuations in the pH Level?

Alkaline Recipe BookThe reason that there is such a difference between your urine and saliva pH level readings is that a) your mouth is more likely to contain acidic bacteria throughout the day (if you brush your teeth it will show a very high alkaline reading due to the toothpaste so there is not much of a way around this) and b) because your urine is more of a reflection of the processes the body is undertaking to remove acid from the body.

Both of these are therefore subject to fluctuations. I would recommend taking the average of several readings to gain a bigger picture of your progress rather than concentrating on each reading in isolation.

A reading of anywhere between 6.75-7.0+ is excellent for saliva as the saliva tends to be slightly more acidic. For the urine, a slightly higher pH level of 7.5 upwards is great, but remember that due to the kidneys processing of toxins throughout the day, the urine can give a more erratic reading.

To put all of this into perspective, someone who eats a typical Western diet would be more likely to have a saliva pH average of about 5.5-6.0. This may not seem too much lower, however it is important to remember that the pH level scale is logarithmic – meaning each step is ten times the previous i.e. 4.5 is 10 times more acidic than 5.5 which is 100 times more acidic than 6.5 and so on.

Points Remember  on Your pH Level Tests:
Testing the pH level of your saliva or urine is only going to give you a general trend. Unfortunately, there is no way of determining the EXACT pH level of the blood without undergoing a live blood analysis. However, they can give a good indication – so test, test, test and take the average and then follow this trend over time noticing the difference any changes in your diet can make.

I sincerely hope that this is helpful – please feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Want to Test Your pH Level?

We’ve developed what we believe to be the very best pH level test strips on the market. Having been in the alkaline diet world for over six years now we’ve tried a LOT of different tests, and we truly believe that these are the most accurate:

The Energise for Life pH Level Test Strips

Alkaline Test: How to Test Your pH Level (Saliva & Urine) by

Ben July 5, 2014 at 9:57 pm

So much misinformation. Human blood only works at a VERY VERY narrow range, that is 7.35 to 7.45; any deviation from this, even a small amount, leads to rapid decline. In other words, you will be in a coma, fighting for your life.

The food you put into your body is NOT GOING TO HAVE AN AFFECT ON YOUR BLOOD. This should be easily understood by anyone who understands the pH scale; the large volume of your blood (compared to small amount of food/liquid you can ingest), and your body’s homeostasis system ensure food doesn’t affect it and that it stays at the narrow optimal range. The PH scale is NOT LINEAR, it is logarithmic, a PH of 1 is not 4x the acidity of a PH 5, it’s actually 2->1 (10x acidity), 3->1 (100x acidity), 4->1 (1000x), 5->1 (10,000 times the acidity).

As for urine and saliva, their pH is NOT governed by the blood nor are they predictors of blood pH. Saliva is full of buffers, that keep it at optimal pH; urine is in the bladder, where it is isolated from other organs, it can fluctuate based on the amount of water you take in (or lack thereof), and really has no bearing on anything (it’s usually excreted quickly and the bladder keeps it isolated in the meantime)….

All of this is basic, university level entry biology. Its as uncontroversial as you can get.
Ask your doctor or somebody else trained in chemistry and biology (i.e. NOT a homeopath, naturopath or chiropractor)

Nw September 8, 2014 at 1:41 am

I have nothing scientific to share but Ben you can’t be serious that what we eat doesn’t have any affect on our blood. Alcohol and sugar are two simple examples.
Your argument lost any weight with that statement

Please enlighten me, perhaps I’m missing something

Laura October 28, 2014 at 7:54 am

Of course the body maintains a strict equilibrium to keep the blood within that narrow range. I dont think that is in dispute. The point is that the more acidic our diets, the more effort and possibly depletion of resources go into maintaining that equilibrium. Eating acidics won’t cause acidic blood but it will mess your body up as your body fights against the onslaught to keep the blood slightly alkaline. Whereas if we eat neutral-alkaline the body does not need to work so hard.
Also no misinformation on pH scale, it clearly states each marker is 10x difference? BTW I’m a nurse but no scientist and not a supporter of any special diet, just looking into it and it seems to make sense.

daniel March 7, 2014 at 12:22 am

the pH of my spit when i powered up my energy with my power of my mind was 10

Nobody September 30, 2013 at 5:09 am

I’ve always had over 7 ph in my saliva and an acidic reading in my urine. What should I make of that? I thought that was what should be looking for. Is there another reading? How do I achieve that?

margaret jones January 4, 2014 at 2:33 am

My recent ph level was 5 or below. What has caused this and how is it remedied on a long term basis. 4/1/14

Energise Ross January 4, 2014 at 11:55 am

Hey Margaret

I highly recommend reading my Guide to pH Testing here, it will explain everything.

shawn July 7, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Magnesium taurate. The taurine acts as a delivery device to get the magnesium directly to the heart muscle where it is needed. Palpitations will be gone in 24 hours. I had the same problem until a naturopath enlightened me. Couldn’t believe it.

Arthur Bolstad June 14, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Hi. I have just bought the Chanson Miracle Max and have tested some of the levels using ordinary pH-strips (in addition to the measuring equipment that came with the ionizer). What I have found is that the alkaline water does not show up as alkaline on the pH-strips (the strips continue showing neutral or acidic color). Does that mean that pH-strips doesn’t work on this type of water? – arthur

Ross Bridgeford July 11, 2013 at 5:52 am

Hey Arthur

Glad you got your MAX and have it all installed! That’s right – the pH strips only work on bodily fluids.

Give me an email if you need further help on this.

Jo August 27, 2012 at 4:55 am

I’ve been trying to alkalize lately with herbal tea and smoothes with lemons and fresh fruit.

I’m going to buy some of these strips to see if my efforts are producing results…

I’ll be back to let you know!

Boss July 13, 2012 at 3:26 am

Hi there, I love pudding

HARWANT May 30, 2012 at 12:17 pm

hhhwhy ph of urine and salvia show totally opposite reading like like ph 6 and ph 9

Alison McLean January 25, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Are limes as equally alkaline and health giving as lemons? Only I prefer the taste. There’s a lot of information about lemons but limes are never mentioned

mary December 13, 2011 at 12:13 am

I have universal ph indicator paper. it says it will turn
green if it is alkaline.
Am I using the correct strips?
If not, where can I get the correct ones to test the ph
of my urine?

Glenda November 27, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I have never done this before. Got some saliva strips from my herbalist quite a few months ago to try and forgot what she said about using them. I got up this morning and ate a whole bunch of tomatoes. Waited 30 min and tested my saliva and it is 7.0. Does this mean tomatoes are okay for me? Wish my herbalist was open but she is closed over the holidays. Thanks for any help from anyone out there.

Rosacea dieet November 4, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I have the same problem as Micheele… The Ph of my urine and my saliva are very much different. I think I will follow the Ph of my urine though, because you say that saliva will vary the most.

I’m using strips from my pharmacy and they normally work fine I think.

Should I try a different brand first to see what the results are?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Miranda

natalie white October 31, 2011 at 9:23 am

can someone pls give me a number to find kagen water in brisbane australia? as there are products who claim to sell ‘similar’ to kagen water, what actually is the difference?

Angie October 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Hi, I have a query which I am hoping you can help me with.

I suffer from acid reflux and indigestion and I did a saliva test this morning before I had anything to eat and the reading showed 7.5 which is more towards alkaline but my urine sample was very acidic, around 5.5.
I am wondering which test would be most reliable – Urine or saliva?

Many thanks!

stacy October 2, 2011 at 6:26 am

I have tested both my ph levels for urine and saliva. My urine is
showing acidic and saliva is showing alkaline. Which do I follow?

keaw February 27, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Mine as well, but all information tells me it should be the other way around!My saliva shows high alkalinity and my urine shows total acidity.
What to do????

Nathan September 27, 2013 at 7:42 am

Alkaline Saliva and Acidic urine tends to be an indicator that you have brushed your teeth. Tooth paste is very alkaline. As far as I know urine is the best one to follow as its more consistent.

Energise Ross September 27, 2013 at 9:23 am

That’s true and why I advise testing saliva first thing before you’ve eaten anything or cleaned your teeth. Urine, overall is the best indicator though – you’re right.

kevin January 11, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Urine should always be acidic. If your urine is alkaline it may be an indicator that toxins and waste are being held in the body. Very bad.

Nicola July 28, 2011 at 11:09 am

How often during a day should you test? My gym has got Kangen water (alkaline water) I want to see if it actually makes a difference. I know in the evenings when I’m generally hydrated will affect the pH of the urine reading and in the morning when I’m dehydrated will also affect it to make it presumably more acidic so what is the best time to test to get an average reading?

Harold June 24, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I am not sure what Kangen water is. Water is water. So that means they have done something to the water to make it alkaline. If your doctor has diagnosed you as being slightly or more acidic than alkaline, then you should be on a special diet in order to lower your body PH. I kind of did this on my own, but do not really know if it affected me since I have also performed the same tests with my saliva and urine. I just have not done a complete study consistent enough to notice a difference. All you can do is use scientific fact. Water is diffferent as it is treated differently around the world. I bought your everyday swimming pool test kit. It has 5 different solutions that you use to test water ph. I bought mine at a hardware store. I’m sure you can get one just about anywhere that sells a little of everything. I tested my tap water. It was slightly acidic around 5.5-6.0.I tested my store bought bottled waterand it was also acidic. A little less than the tap 6.5-6.8. Now science says that sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is an alkaline chemical compound. So I decided to put one tenth of a teaspoon of baking soda and one teaspoon of lemon juice ( also has alkaline properties and effect when consumed by humans) in 16 ounces of water both waters. I turned my water into ” Kangen” water I am presumming is the big marketing flag for them. That their water is alkaline water. You can do the same to your water if it is acidic more than alakaline. I wouldn’t do this unless you know for sure where you stand though. It can be just as dangerous I believe to be too alakaline. I don’t know all of the facts. But then again, I don’t personally believe anyone does. As far as you testing your own PH. I do a wake up 5:30am. 2 hours after breakfast 11:00 am. 2 hours after lunch about 2:30pm. Before dinner 5:30-6:00 pm and before bedtime 10:00-10:30pm. I bought my strips from a health foodstore. They are tear off strips and work fine if kept away from moisture and light. I write down the date and time with a Sharpie (permanent marker) and stick it in a snack sized ziplock bag. At the end of the day I put them in order and either worry or I am happy with the results. Do this for 5 days and then average each time of day seperately writing down each number average. then average your morning 3. Then your afternoon three to get two averages. ( I know, you only did five tests. How can I have 3 and 3? Your lunch will be a medium between the two. It goes in both averages. Average your 2 averages and that should give you a pretty good urine ph average. Saliva, is the same way. I am not sure where the saliva is more acidic came from. Mine is always more alkaline. I don’t think either test is 100% reliable for knowing your blood ph. That is the important one to me. You need to demand that your doctor or a doctor that you can find with a lower ego and pride level that is willing to treatyou like a customer not a guinea pig will do a Blood ph test for you. A fasting (morning), 2-3 hours after lunch. on the same day for 2-3 days. Mon wed and Frid for example. That would give you a better idea aas to how your body is working. I would also record everything I am eating during this process. I mean everything! And drinking. Also monitor your attention, mood, energy levels throughout the day. The trick is to do it without thinking about it because you can build stress in the mind and body that will most likely affect your results on the tests. Good luck.

Mad Anthony May 3, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I would like to comment that Vitamin D is so important to balancing urinary ph that everything else pales in significance. Also urinary ph needs to be acidic (6.5-7.0, NOT greater) to avoid UTI’s and yeast infections — it is the NORMAL STATE and opposite of the ph of the blood. Some groups balance urinary ph using Vitamin D alone.

Regina January 20, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Hi Anthony,
May I ask where you go this info?
I would like to see it myself, not that Idon’t trust you.

Jeff Airplane May 2, 2011 at 10:31 am

I don’t know if my body is acidic but I have sensitive skin and I feel better when I digest alcalines. I’ve seen a doctor on that and there was nothing to do really. Would those tests and turnesol papers help me on that? I don’t think my problem is with the ph level of my blood.

john March 30, 2011 at 4:07 am

Could bad ph cause erectile dysfunction?

Ross April 7, 2011 at 2:44 am

If we have bad pH or acidic body, the red blood cells would not be able to function properly thus it would start to form biological bacteria and yeast. Since the male genital depends on blood function to erect, it would have an effect on this if you have a bad pH level.

blobbinder March 27, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Hello,
Do i need to wait a few mins after dipping the pH strip into the saliva for a more accurate reading?
And what do you do if it doesnt match a colour clearly?

Thanks.

Lize Bartsch March 10, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Hello
I would like to know if sleeping problems (insomnia) could have anything to do with alkalinity and if it can by fixed by that. I have experienced severe sleeplessness for the past 3 years. I am in my menopause but am not on hormones since they all worsen the insomnia. Recently I also started having problems with constipation.

Leanne September 1, 2011 at 2:05 am

I had the same problem with sleeping. I started drinking lemon juice and water and I have slept fine ever since. No more night waking!

brett February 24, 2011 at 10:49 pm

the salival strips can also be used analy leave up the anus for approx 45 secs then rinse and read. Hard to get used to but it works perfectly as the liquid factor of urine or saliva does not mess up the reading.

Avid reader February 15, 2011 at 6:28 am

I have some strips that say ‘saliva only’. Why can’t they be used on urine?

Avid reader February 15, 2011 at 6:28 am

My heart palpitations (A topic beats or irregular beats) was solved by lots of magnesium. That was diagnosed by a Chinese Naturapath. Western cardiologists couldn’t figure it out… they said “structurally your heart is fine”. Chelated Magnesium works best. Start off with at least a couple of grams a day.

Jo January 15, 2011 at 11:29 am

I’ve just used my first Ph testing strip to test my saliva this morning and am wondering, does it change colour the longer you leave it? I was convinced that at first (after 15 seconds) it showed around 6.75 / 7.0 but then, when I looked at it again a few minutes later, it looked more like 6.0! Also, sorry if this is a daft question, but do you leave the strip in the saliva for 15 seconds, or just “dunk” it and then wait?
Jo

Ross April 7, 2011 at 9:52 am

Hello Jo,
There might be a factor on the change on the results. You have probably drank something before you made the test and that it picked up the liquid’s alkalinity and by putting it there for a few minutes it might have already gotten your saliva’s pH.

'Rodger November 7, 2010 at 2:41 am

Where in Manila can I find ph test strips please? Am from the US and I had bad prostate cancer, gleason score was 9 and 10 is as bad as it gets. Went on baking soda and molasses for 15 days and keep my alkeline at 8.0 or more for 15 days. PSA droped from 12.5 to 2.9 in just a few days. But want to keep track of my alkeline so I need to get some ph strips here in Manila. Do u have any ideas? Thank you for your time.
Rodger

Caesar Nawalkowski October 19, 2010 at 2:16 am

The comments and advertising on this web site have a lot of opinion and very little science. I have not seen the most important chemical action even mentioned: THE BUFFER SYSTEM. Your body’s buffer system adjusts the acidity/alkalinity of food in your intestine, so that by the time the “slush”, i.e. digested food, reaches your blood, it is alkaline. If it were not for the buffer system, you would die in a hurry after drinking, for example, a glass of orange juice.
Afraid of drinking acidic pop? No problem. The buffer system takes care of that.
Sour food is the food of choice even with children. . . . no problem. God created buffer systems for a purpose. It’s hard to imagine any life system evolving without a buffer sysyem there right now. Which came first, the buffer system or the organism that could not even develop without it? Set your pre-conceived opinions aside for a while and study the scientifc evidence. That will save you a lot of tension and money.

jozie February 17, 2012 at 6:29 am

Just wanted to point out that just because there might not be any mention of this “buffer system” does not mean you have to throw out all that Ross talks about. You have to use common sense along with even scientific studies because scientists can be wrong. Common sense tells me that allot of what Ross rights about just makes sense. Just reading allot of the foods that are acidic you can see that sugar is high in most of them and we all know sugar is not that great for us. We just don’t like to hear or think about cutting it out of our diet because we all like our sugar ^_^ at least I know I Do.
As people (not just Americans, though we may be one of the worst) we don’t like being told “no, you can’t have this thing you really want” we like to self-indulge no matter what the costs later in life. I Do not think that is why God gave us this “buffer system” We need to learn self-control and discipline. I feel that is the steps Ross is trying to help us take in life. I think this is a great website! And Ross puts it into a language I can understand.

After reading your comment I looked up some websites on the buffer system and it did not make any sense to me. So if you know of one that can explain things in words I may understand, please tell us.

Unity June 12, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Yes, there is a built in buffer system for this as well as nearly all biological processes, but the problem is that if your body is in an acidic state for long periods of time, like it is for most people these days, it depletes your body of the minerals that it needs in order to return to an alkaline state. Over the years, being in an acidic state eats into more and more of your mineral reserves, eventually destroying your tissues, organs and bones. Chronic acidity leads to a body that cannot hold onto its minerals, with cells dying or becoming cancerous in the constant acid soup. Count yourself lucky that you’ve come across this information about eating an alkaline diet to balance the body’s pH, as it’s one of the most important things you can do for your health!

joshua jumb o September 26, 2010 at 7:59 pm

plz i’ve been living in a very nervous state(unwanted heart beats/palpitations) 4 a very long time and i do not know what the cause is. can u help me find a very effective solution to this mess.

Searcher September 20, 2013 at 11:53 am

A man above stated this Joshua that may help your problem….hope it helps. God Bless

Avid reader February 15, 2011 at 6:28 am

broli September 6, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Believe it or not but there’s a very simple way to test the ph of your blood without much hassle. Diabetic people use it daily. It’s a pen like tool that punctures their fingertips so they can take a blood sample to measure blood sugar levels. It’s called a lancing device.

If you search for “lancing device” on ebay you can find some for a very reasonable price.

Helen September 2, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Can someone tell me after how many seconds is ideal to read the result of the PH tester? Thanks

jamshid August 31, 2010 at 11:52 am

I would like to know about healthy ph level of blood, urine and saliva

claire August 13, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Hi there
I have been trying to download a copy of your ebook on alkaline water but there seems to be a problem. It takes ages and then just bombs out. Could you possibly email me a copy please?
Many thanks
Claire

Nailgun July 7, 2010 at 10:34 pm

“About how long does it take for your urine to become alkaline after you completely change diet (to about 70-80% alkaline foods)? I have done this for over a week now, and saliva is consistently a 7.2 and up now, but urine is still 5.5.”

Epal: Since many of the toxins being removed by the liver and kidneys from the body are acidic, your urine-pH being fully /alkaline/ for multiple readings would mean something is likely very wrong with your respiratory system.

Salival pH is ideally leaning toward alkaline (6.75 to 7.5), whereas urine can fluctuate healthily anywhere between 6.5 to 8. It sounds like there are a lot of toxins still being kicked out by your system. Have you tried measuring at different times throughout the day, and seeing what foods affect you differently?

Lori Clinch Adams May 3, 2010 at 6:49 pm

What is the significance of a saliva reading being one reading and the urine being another? ie: saliva rating a 6 and urine a 4.5? Should they or should they not be the same?
Also, what is the significance of ‘sweat burning’?
Kind Thanks

tarek February 21, 2010 at 8:46 pm

thank you . will you tell me if any relation between pH of drinking water and blood pH .

Ross February 22, 2010 at 1:09 am

Hi Tarek

Indeed I do. Here is a blog post all about it: http://www.energiseforlife.com/wordpress/2009/09/17/how-to-make-your-water-alkaline/

Athena, not sure where you are based, but we sell pH Strips here at energise: click on the link for ‘Shop’ above.

Athena Mikesell January 18, 2010 at 5:38 am

Hey I just wanted to know where I can buy some test strips locally to test my ph levels. My husband and I have two boys and want to try for a girl but someone told me I should start checking my ph levels and if they are too acidic it can have an impact on the outcome of the gender of the baby! in the past 3 generations their family has only given birth to 3 girls so I want to break the cycle if possible!

Thanks for your time;
Athena

DJ November 13, 2011 at 12:34 pm

pH does affect the gender outcome of the baby but not the pH of the body as a whole. It is the pH of the secretion when orgasm is reached by the woman. This pH has the tendency to predominately “kill off” or “slow down” the Y sperm, thus stacking the cards against it so to speak. The way to get around it is for the woman to NOT attain orgasm during the intercourse that leads to conception. As my father used to say: “just wake her up and have sex with her and forget about anything else (as in foreplay, orgasm for her, etc.).” I wish I can put it more delicately but you get the meaning. My father has 9 children, a girl followed by 8 boys with the initials JJ (for the girl) followed by AJ all the way down to HJ. I have 3 children, 2 girls followed by a boy, initialed D and J for the 2 girls (DJ being my initial) followed by A. We decided not to continue with the alphabet. Try it. It works.

cynthia darrington April 20, 2013 at 7:18 pm

DJ – And how often did your father give you advice like this? I feel sorry for your wife & mother.

DJ November 13, 2011 at 1:12 pm

CORRECTION:

When I wrote: “This pH has the tendency to predominately “kill off” or “slow down” the Y sperm, thus stacking the cards against it so to speak. ” I meant “This pH has the tendency to predominately “kill off” or “slow down” one or the other of the X or the Y sperm, thus stacking the cards against it so to speak. “

Edgar Claveria December 10, 2009 at 1:07 pm

I have read many columns regarding pH balance diet in which I tried to research because my father has a prostate cancer. Miraculouly, I’ve found this pH health balancing to let cancer cells to die at level pH 7.35 to 4.0. I’m looking for the litmus paper or pH strips from where in Manila I could buy. Please help me to find the address of the store and to buy also the alkaline water.

For your prompt reply.

Thank you.

Egay

RC June 7, 2009 at 11:46 pm

Hey, I’ve tried ph strips for a couple days now. I continue to get readings of about 7.6 for my urine and my saliva. What does that mean?

SReed May 9, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Of course, keep in mind “Kay” is also a multi-tiered salesperson for Kangen. Not saying it doesn’t work; it might be great. But, it is a pyramid, like Amway. The actual benefits of Kangen, and other pH waters, are debated.

Kay May 7, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Hi! I am a psychologist and also a distributor of Kangen water machines in the United States. The word Kangen means “return to origin” in Japanese and is a registered trademark of the Enagic company. Enagic is a Japanese company that manufactures and distributes Kangen water machines. These machines produce water that has pH values of 2.5 to 11.5 for cleaning and sterilizing and 5.5 to spray on skin and hair to normalize the pH of skin and hair (this is close to the normal pH of skin and hair) for beauty purposes and healing on the skin, and 7.0, 8.5, 9.0. and 9.5 for drinking and alkalizing the body. These machines are available (just recently started) in Australia (and many other parts of the world) and I can help you get more information about the machine and owning one, if you like. I have been drinking the water for over a year now, and the health benefits are marvelous. Higher energy, better elimination, cleaner healthier colon, better hydration levels in the body. In addition to the pH benefits, there are antioxidant properties of the water and the water molecules tend to group together as fewer molecules in one clump so to speak. This aids absorption of the water in the body. The cells can absorb the water better in smaller clumps. Although there are other machines that make ionized water, the Enagic machines are the finest. The quality of the Kangen water is the highest and the machines work faster and don’t overheat or demand a rest like some other brands when you use them. Some of the people I know produce 300 gallons or more of water from their machines a day, without any problems. Kangen has several models. I like mine, it even talks to me. It tells me what type of water it is producing and when to change the filter. This is a very helpful and fun part of the whole project.

I have always tried to improve my pH levels and have found that this is very easy with the water. Also you can vary the pH of the water you drink up or down to regulate your pH optimally. When I eat a lot of alkaline foods, I may drink water with a lower pH (7.0 or 8.5). When I splurge and eat something naughty at a party, I drink the 9.5, In this way my pH is easily adjusted. Just as a reference about pH, if you take one 8 ounce glass of soda pop (any type root beer, cola, etc.) and place it in a container it takes about 4 gallons (32 times as much volume) of 9.5 pH water to bring the pH of that soda pop liquid up to neutral (7.0 is neutral) This is highly acidic in the body and I wouldn’t even drink the stuff at a party. I don’t think you could drink 4 gallons of water the next day to try to neutralize that one 8 ounce glass of soda from the party. With that example in mind, you might understand how difficult it is to keep our bodies alkalized and how food alone might not do it, if we eat or drink anything acid forming at all. Kay

natalie white October 31, 2011 at 9:21 am

hi i have been curious about the kangen water. i am in australia, brisbane and cant find it anywhere but found products ‘similar’ this is confusing so it seemed u know what you were talking about so could you please give me a number of a few to ring please? would be greatly appreciated! thankyou, natalie

Ross March 30, 2009 at 6:12 am

Hi Mel

I don’t know too much about the Kangen brand to be honest. Can you give me more info?

Mel March 30, 2009 at 5:29 am

I am drinking kangen water, is it healthy for me?

Epal March 14, 2009 at 8:05 pm

dhay February 14, 2009 at 11:46 pm

hi, i just want 2 know if there’s a relatioship between the ph urine test and ph of ultres’s inviromental ph ;that mean if i test ph of my urine and i find it’s 7.5 that mean the ph for ultres is 7.5 also with my best wishes.

mark December 11, 2008 at 11:01 am

Hi. everybody talks about the ph.and alkalinity of water but in some cases there not related. if you test the ph. of tap water and rain water, they are almost the same about 7.4 ph but the alkalinity is nowhere near similar 20ppm for rainwater, and 260ppm for tap water. so do not think that if you drink water with ahigh ph. its good for you.

Clara November 12, 2008 at 12:03 am

I think that you have the ph levels backswards my friend.

The saliva is usually more alkaline, and the urine is usually more acidic, as it shows how well the body is doing at removing acids and retaining alkaline minerals such as calcium, magneseim, ect…..

Steve August 2, 2008 at 4:46 am

I have been striving to keep my diet fairly alkaline lately but my urine always tests @ about 5.5. The health food store says there should be a “correction factor” because of the uric acid. Any comments?

Ann July 12, 2008 at 9:47 pm

My diet specialist put me on a diet to lower my pH from 7.4 which only served to raise it to 7.6. He quickly put me back on my regular meat and potatoes diet. I am insulin resistant and allergic to a lot of staple foods.

You can get the pH test strips from a health foods store or on the internet. My testing consistently showed extremely acid urine and 6.0 alkalinity for saliva, the opposite of what they should be as stated here and no relation to my blood pH. I’ve stopped using these testing strips as this method seems to have no value.

Ann July 12, 2008 at 9:45 pm

My diet specialist put me on a diet to lower my pH from 7.4 which only served to raise it to 7.6. He quickly put my back on my regular meat and potatoes diet. I am insulin resistant and allergic to a lot of staple foods.

Meg July 1, 2008 at 8:41 pm

My Ph Level averages at 5. What does that mean in terms of effects on my body?

ivan February 21, 2008 at 7:11 am

glen, it is acid till it absorbs in your body then it akalizes.

glen January 23, 2008 at 7:36 pm

Hi
I read on several websites that drinking water with lemon juice in it is alkalising when I test this with a ph stick it is very acidic
can someone explain is this lemon water alkalising or not?
regards
glen

MV February 20, 2011 at 5:05 pm

To Glen,
Lemons (and oranges and grapefruit) are acidic as they are, but when ingested they have an alkalizing effect. In fact, lemons are one of the most alkaline fruits you can eat. The other is watermelon.

MV

Ross February 21, 2011 at 12:49 am

Thanks MV

The only slight distinction I would make is this:

Lemons, limes etc are alkaliSING – not just alkaline. Strictly speaking they are acid, but alkalising.

Awesome that you replied though – thanks a mil

Mönkey January 15, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Michelle, I am under the impression that urine ph level is the most important as the ph level of the saliva can varies the most. Think about what yer eating too, I think the recommendation is to eat about 70-80% of “base”:ic food.

Michelle July 5, 2007 at 8:57 am

Could you help me please, I have tested both my
ph levels for urine and saliva. Now my urine is
showing a ph level of 6.0 which is very acidic,
and my saliva is showing 9.0 which is very
alkaline. Which do I follow? I purchased this
test from a pool shop which tests water levels, I
was unable to find one for myself at a chemist.

Energise Ross January 16, 2014 at 12:25 am

There is definite truth to what you’re saying here Kevin. When people are out of balance their urine pH will always be acidic as the body removes toxins – and in the early days its a good sign! The urine pH will generally be acidic then throughout the day as the body is acidic in it’s daily processing. The point is that it will become more and more alkaline as time goes on as the toxins become less and less.