Alkaline Diet Recipe #11 pH Boosting Protein Shake!

As a vegetarian/ mostly vegan, raw-food enthusiast who loves the gym I obviously find it pretty difficuly to find protein-rich meals and shakes for after a heavy workout. Almost every book and every recipe on lean muscle-building relies almost exclusively on meat, dairy and whey shakes for protein intake. What about vegetarians and vegans? What about people who do not want to sacrifice their health but want to build muscle?

Well, I am hoping that this one helps you out as much as it has helped me. Here is my Energise pH Boosting, Vegan Friendly, Protein Shake!

Ingredients:

1 avocado, peeled and chunked
1 lime, peeled and halved
1 cucumber (add more or less to change consistency), roughly chopped
Tofu 1/2 to 1 cube (silken or soft)
Soy milk – try to find unsweetend (again add to taste/desired consistency)
1-2 big handfuls of fresh raw spinach leaves
Ice to taste (if your blender can handle ice)
Optional: Dr Young HempH Seeds (source of vegan, alkaline protein)

Directions:

Peel the avocado and lime and thoroughly wash the cucumber (if it is a thick skinned cucumber, peel some of this away). Then place all of the ingredients into a blender and whizz it all up. If you are particularly keen on lime then you can garnish with some of the zest! This recipe, in my opinion works best with limes, but if you are keen on lemons that try that too (or a combo of both!).

Dependent upon how much tofu and soy milk you use, this can pack a punch of about 20g of protein per drink – which is not far off that of most vegan un-friendly protein shakes and powders. If you add the HempH Seeds then you bump it up to about 25g too!

Give it a go and let me know what you think!

Alkaline Diet Recipe #11 pH Boosting Protein Shake! by

Thomas July 7, 2014 at 11:55 am

I looking to gain weigth with foods complements cause i’m really underweight but i wanna keep my alkaline diet ,do you have some tips or an ebook that i could buy who’s covering the subject? Thank you

Susan October 22, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I have osteoporosis and I am also gluten free and dairy free. Is there a protein powder that you reccomend for a protein shake in the morning that is alkaline? Thanks so much!

Best,
Susan

Johnette June 15, 2012 at 5:57 am

Does this drink taste intense? Protein is always good!

Chris March 29, 2010 at 4:57 pm

HI guys two good protein pumpkin seeds and almonds.
I started my career as a chef many years ago and recently found alkalinity and have had pretty much the same issues as most of you I love the gym and love my protein and still love fish and meat now and again.
So I was just preparing my meals with 4 times the salad or veg.
But when you look in to it beans seeds and nuts are the key.
they are there to form life so they are packed with the building blocks or good amino-es.
I’ am actually writing a book that encompasses a high protein, alkaline diet as I haven’t been able to find one as yet.
from my experience and believe me I have tried just about every form of protein going, hemp taste like you have split a tea bag.

Any way chuck you pumpkin seeds or almonds into a blender until you turn them in to a fine powder then keep them in a jar and add a scoop of about 70 grams for each shake or two protein scoops this will give you about 22g’s
you can add it to soy milk,milk or just your five a day fruit smoothie first thing in the morning before the gym and if you put pineapple in there its supposed to help metabolize the fat .
can be a bit gloppy and filling depending on what fruit you have with it so make sure you have it way before breakfast.
p.s. can any one tell me where to find the most accurate,up to date alkaline list as they are all different?
any way my website will be fully running by about July 2010 and book soon to follow so watch this space!
chrisharradine.com

Claire Seals September 15, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Ross: Is almond milk an alkaline product? I really like it in preference to soy.

Philip Terry March 14, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Can anyone recommend any other alternatives to Hemp, Soy, Nuts, Seeds? I read something that put me off Hemp, can’t remember where I saw it though. As with everything there is a double edge sword – it’s both good for you and negative at the same time. One should consider the net gains I guess. Take Soy for example…

Be good to research what other alternatives there are to all of the above?

jakie January 21, 2010 at 12:16 pm

yeah v so over people who dont understand people trying for optimal health, im doing it for health and well being.. i miss my nasty bad food but to i want energy and health or a quick hit and be a tired fat cow.. i have three kids under three this is all very expensive and our income isnt great but if ya got optimal health there not more you need!

John September 23, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Hey ross , i wonder those Rice Protein powder sell at local store suitable as a alternative to soy milk? Is rice protein powder alkaline too?

Regard
John

steve September 11, 2009 at 10:46 pm

I would use soy milk but i read on bbc health news that it interferes with hormonal signals?

Maria August 18, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Great protein shake recipe, thanks. I have tried using almond milk intead of soy and hemp protein instead of tofu (I am allergic to soy!) and it also tastes great!

v May 23, 2009 at 5:44 am

soy isn’t alkalizing at all. toxic, in most cases.

Ross May 24, 2009 at 12:20 am

Can you offer anything to back that up, or are you happy to just criticise?

Ross January 6, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Hi again Fee

I personally get all of the protein I need from this diet, however I do eat tofu and drink soy and rice milk. I also include lots of nuts, seeds, beans etc which are all great sources of protein, as are (surprisingly) green vegetables.

I also have oats and muesli some mornings for breakfast (with the soy or rice milk) which packs around 15-20g of protein per bowl.

If you are seriously training and needing more protein then hemp protein supplements are fantastic, clean and far, far more alkaline than whey protein.

Hope this helps!

Again – everything is covered by the Energise Alkaline Lifestyle Course – check it out here:

Cheers

Fee January 6, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Yes RJ I’d also like to know this. I will not eat/drink soy products. I wonder if organic rice milk is alkaline? Not sure what you’d replace the tofu with though..

RJ December 14, 2008 at 5:27 am

What do you use for protein main dishes on alkaline diet if you don’t tolerate soy well and if underweight with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Fifi August 13, 2006 at 6:38 am

Hi there,
Hemp is a complete protein and would be great to incorporate the seeds into your diet. Check out a book called Thrive by Brendan Brazier. He is a Triathlete Vegan!
Hope this helps.