Find out exactly how far you run!

google mapsHi all. Just a quick post because I really want to share this with you all. This is extremely cool and is something I have wanted for YEARS!

Have you ever wondered “how far did I run“? Do you have a route that you love to run, but never knew how far it actually was? Well, thanks to this incredible Google Maps mashup you finally can!

The All Incredible GMap Pedometer!

And best of all – it is free! Absolutely FREE!

All you do is:

• Find where you want to start with the ‘Jump To’ search box
  • Zoom appropriately as you would normally with gmaps
  • Click ‘Start Recording’
  • Then double click each point on the route

It gives you Total Distance, Mile Markers and Calories Burned!

This is just great, and I have already been playing around with it for hours finding out how far it is from my house to my ferry wharf, from my office to my favourite salad bar, from my house to my favourite cafe, from my house to my friends house…oh and of course how long my favourite running routes are!!!

Now I always knew that something good would come out of reading Matt Cutts’ blog

Find out exactly how far you run! by

Liam July 23, 2011 at 11:59 pm

This is absolutely brilliant, has been a massive help in plooting a good running course, as well as finding out how long exactly my normal runs are… The creator deserves an award, literally.

Larry October 12, 2010 at 5:46 pm

I have built a similar website: http://trackyourruns.com. My website provides the same information but I believe it is easier to use. I would love to hear what you think.

John January 4, 2008 at 5:51 pm

There are some other (and I think better) sites available too, like http://www.mapmyrun.com .

RT the fitness guy June 4, 2007 at 3:20 am

The people at my two sites are going to love this. How come I didn’t know about it sooner!?!

david May 6, 2007 at 6:24 pm

Hey,

I’ve been using this tools for quite some time now. It works quite well, the only problems I had was recording long tracks. It’ll just stop working after a large number of points.

Regards, David

Andy Burns May 4, 2007 at 6:12 pm

thanks for that – that’s a gem of a tool

Liam Roche May 1, 2007 at 7:29 pm

:-) Of course this is an alternative to wearing a GPS which does the same job automatically. (Yes, people really do that – more for long distance running, though)

I recall my father being not entirely enthusiastic when I got a traditional pedometer mailed to him from a free offer from a UK breakfast cereal company. He plays a couple of rounds of golf a week, but he didn’t seem keen on having his steps counted while he played.

In recent years, I used a cycle computer for all of my cycling (a few thousand miles only, I’m not someone who does hours a day), and a heart rate monitor for cycling and running. I think both of these motivate me to some extent, (less when the average speed is disappointingly slow). The HRM is the most useful thing, simply because its good for varying the intensity of exercise in a methodical way.