Chlorophyll is AMAZING. FACT!
Sometimes nature does the most obvious things to help us out.
You know how there are certain things in life that just seem so obvious you think that can’t be true! Certain consequences, like removing red wine stains by tipping white wine onto them (I still can’t believe that works!), are in fact, everywhere. And chlorophyll gives us another one of them.
Knowing how important the health of our red blood cells are to our wellbeing, if we’re looking for something to ensure our red blood cells are clean, healthy and plentiful, wouldn’t we look for something that gives our body exactly the tools it needs to do this? Of course we would.
And what is the most essential substance that our body uses to build and transport red blood cells? Hemoglobin.
So it makes sense that we should, somehow, give our body hemoglobin! “But how?” I hear you ask.
“Chlorophyll”, I answer.
The Benefits and Wonders of Liquid Chlorophyll – why I love it!
Chlorophyll is one of my favourite nutrients. It has SO MANY health benefits it makes it a true wonder-food. However, the most marvellous and amazing benefit it gives comes from the fact that its molecular structure is almost identical to hemoglobin except for the center atom. In hemoglobin this is iron, whereas in chlorophyll it is magnesium.
This means that when ingested, liquid chlorophyll can actually help to do the job of hemoglobin (hemoglobin is so vital to the health of our blood – in fact, blood is approx 75% hemoglobin). It helps to rebuild and replenish our red blood cells, boosting our energy and increasing our wellbeing almost instantly.
I know this sounds a bit like the old ancient Japanese legend that eating brains makes you smarter – BUT – eating/drinking liquid chlorophyll can increase the quality AND quantity of your red blood cells.
Chlorophyll has the power to regenerate our bodies at the molecular and cellular level. Why do I feel so sure that it’s helpful to our body? Because it’s indisputable that GREEN FOODS are incredible for our health and all green foods contain an abundance of chlorophyll!
Other Liquid Chlorophyll Benefits
So in addition to helping to rebuild and replenish our red blood cells, liquid chlorophyll benefits include not only being highly alkaline, but also the following:
- Anti Carcinogenic: Chlorophyll protects against a whole host of carcinogens found in fungus-laden foods such as nuts and grains, the toxins from cooked meats, and air-borne carcinogens (from pollution). It blocks the metabolism in the body of harmful chemicals known as procarcinogens that damage DNA. Studies published in the journals Carcinogenesis and Food and Chemical Toxicology clearly display that chlorophyll inhibits carcinogenesis – and further research showing chlorophyll as being cancer-preventative.
Researchers at Oregon State University also concluded: “At…cancer rates relevant to humans, chlorophyll was strongly protective”. Great stuff.
- Antioxidant & Anti-inflammatory: containing high levels of the vitamins A, C and E, liquid chlorophyll has strong antioxidant capacity and has also been found to help reduce inflammation [Reference].
This study from the Journal of Inflammation states: “Chlorophylls and pheophytins showed in vitro anti-oxidant activity. The study shows that chlorophyll a and its degradation products are valuable and abundantly available anti-inflammatory agents and promising for the development of phytomedicine or conventional medicine to treat inflammation and related diseases.”
And in the Journal of Food Science, this study found that: “These results demonstrate that dietary chlorophyll derivatives prevalent in both fresh and processed foods and dietary supplements have antioxidant and antimutagenic activities.”
- Chelation of Heavy Metals: chlorophyll is one of the most important chelates in nature. It’s ability to bind to and remove toxic heavy metals such as mercury makes it an extremely powerful healer. I’m about to have four mercury fillings removed, and you can bet that I will be getting PLENTY of chlorophyll into my body after the procedure!
- Anti-Candida: recent research has also shown that chlorophyll is effective in fighting candida albicans – which does not surprise me. The alkaline approach has always shown itself to be great for candida and the alkaline diet is of course super-high in chlorophyll-rich foods!
- Treats Bad Breath: This one is a real bonus and really works! Chlorophyll has a double-action remedy for bad breath. Firstly, as a deodoriser, it will eliminate odours in the mouth and throat, but secondly (and more importantly) it promotes a healthy digestive tract – which is the primary reason for bad breath. And if you need more – here is another blog post on foods for bad breath!
According to Dr Phyllis A. Balch, author of “Prescription for Nutritional Healing, 4th Edition: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food Supplements”, Alfalfa supplies chlorophyll, which cleanses the bloodstream and colon, where bad breath often begins”.
This research summary from Oregon State University also sites a collection of studies showing chlorophyll to be a powerful internal deodorant.
- Wound Healing & Antiseptic: while liquid chlorophyll doesn’t actually have antiseptic properties of its own, it, quite remarkably, DOES have the ability to aid our body’s tissue in destroying germs. By strengthening tissue, it increases the disease resistance of cells and, at the same time, prevents the growth of bacteria! Research also suggests that chlorophyll greatly assists in wound healing and prevention of reinfection.
- Rapid Delivery of Magnesium: chlorophyll is rich in magnesium, which is a highly alkaline mineral and so consuming chlorophyll rich foods has a highly alkalising effect on the body. Magnesium is super-important as it helps to deliver much needed oxygen to cells and tissues, bone formation, nerve and muscle function – PLUS – magnesium is critical for our cardiovascular system, digestive system, nervous system, muscles, kidneys, liver, hormone-secreting glands, and brain all rely on magnesium for their metabolic function (source: whfoods.com).
- Contains vitamin K, C, folic acid, iron, calcium, protein: which are all also essential in building and repairing red blood cells and boosting our immune system.
How to Get the Liquid Chlorophyll Benefits
All of the health benefits of liquid chlorophyll are easy to get on a daily basis. The simple way? Eat your greens and drink your greens. I know we are always going on about the importance of greens in your diet, but this is one of the main reasons why – it ensures you’re getting plenty of chlorophyll!
Here are a few sources:
- Green Drinks: juiced yourself (here is a recipe for you!) or made from powdered greens (such as Dr Young’s pH Miracle Greens or pH Ion’s Green) – green drinks are a dense source of alkalising, chlorophyll rich greens that are easily assimilated by the body.
- Natures Sunshine Chlorophyll: this is one of my top, top supplements – a concentrated, dense, tasteless (almost) source of liquid chlorophyll that you can add to any drink (water, juice, smoothie) to give your body a constant source of chlorophyll. It is amazing the difference it makes to your energy. Brilliant. And unlike most liquid chlorophyll supplements it isn’t refined and highly processed (killing the goodness) or packed full of sweeteners.
- Green Food in General: eat loads of greens! Think of great big salads and veggies – spinach, lettuce, broccoli, Asian greens, green capsicum, asparagus, peas, beans, kale etc. Any food that is green is that way because it contains chlorophyll – so eat up!
So the simple message is this: go green. Eat, drink, ingest however you can.
My personal experience suggests that going green, going alkaline and getting a mass of liquid chlorophyll daily does absolute WONDERS for your health and energy. You really notice the difference! So if you want more energy, go get yourself some. It’s really that easy!
NOTE: Overcooking is particularly important to avoid when it comes to chlorophyll, but with very short steaming times, the chlorophyll content of these foods is preserved, and absorption of chlorophyll from these foods may actually be increased. Consumption of these green vegetables in raw form is also an excellent way to obtain the health benefits of chlorophyll. [Source: whfoods.com]
Do You Want To Get Alkaline?
Grab your free, instant access to my Alkaline Diet Beginners Guide, Alkaline
Foods, Charts & ten free alkaline recipes (delicious!) plus all of my goodies delivered direct to your inbox each week.
Your information is 100% secure. By registering here, you will recieve weekly articles, videos and other tips to help you get alkaline. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Note: This blog is only my opinion. It is not medical advice or diagnosis. Only opinions based upon our own personal experiences or information detailed in medical/academic journals or other publications is cited. WE DO NOT OFFER MEDICAL ADVICE or prescribe any treatments. Please consult with a medical professional before making any diet or nutrition changes. Refer to our full disclaimer for more information.