The Acid Alkaline Diet Simplified

acid alkaline diet simplified intro
Have you ever wondered what the Acid Alkaline Diet is and how it works but struggled to find real, straightforward answers? Have you ever wondered how the acid alkaline diet could be applied in your life but couldn’t get to grips with what it actually involves?

This article will change that and give you, in five minutes or less, an exact understanding of what the Alkaline Diet really is.

I’ve been living and breathing (and working in) the Alkaline Diet for over five years now. I’ve written a whole course on it (that is getting hundreds of people alkaline every month)! I know what I am talking about when it comes to practically applying this diet and lifestyle. There are more qualified people out there with lots more letters after their name – but I don’t know if there is anyone more experienced in making this diet real in people’s lives. I’ve done it over and over again and this explanation is the result of my five years experience, learning, writing/blogging and connecting with people.

I’ve interviewed experts such as Dr Robert Young, Jason Vale & more. I’ve lived it myself. I’ve fallen off the wagon myself and I’ve gotten right back on. But most importantly I’ve connected with tens of thousands of people who are all transitioning or successfully living alkaline. I’d have to be very, very stupid to have not worked it out by now…

And remember, you can email me anytime if any of the below info throws up any questions for you at all!

The Acid Alkaline Diet Simplified

What is The Alkaline Diet

The alkaline diet is a very, very simple and straightforward approach to health, but is backed by extensive science, pioneered by the blood microscopist and biologist Dr Robert Young. Before I demonstrate just how simple it is, here is the explanation in scientific terms:

Our body is designed to be alkaline. The pH of most of our important cellular and other fluids such as our blood is designed to be at a pH of 7.365, which is slightly alkaline. In just the same way that our body will do whatever it takes to regulate our temperature to stay within a very tight range, it does the same for the pH of our fluids. And while our body does create acids naturally through our bodily functions, we have a small alkaline buffering system that naturally keeps us alkaline.

Your body HAS to keep the pH of your blood, cells and other fluids at just slightly alkaline (pH 7.365) and it will do ANYTHING it has to in order to maintain this pH balance. To do this, your body calls upon its store of alkaline buffers, which it draws upon to neutralize the acids we ingest or create through bodily processes. This store of buffers is very easily depleted because most of us eat and drink such strong acids.

To put this in context, the pH scale is logarithmic – so pH 6 is 10x more acidic than pH 7, meaning pH 5 is 100x times more acidic than pH 7 and pH 4 is 1000x more acidic. Cola has a pH of between 2 and 3. So you can see how a diet filled with meats, dairy, fizzy drinks, alcohol etc would quickly deplete these buffers.

And when we deplete these buffers and still ingest more acids…what happens?

The body is forced into drawing upon the alkaline minerals it has to buffer which causes havoc in the body – for instance, if the body is constantly drawing calcium to neutralise the acids we consume then the symptoms of osteoporosis emerge (hence the recent research articles linking cola consumption with osteoporosis).

However, as we have evolved and our diets and lifestyles have changed over the last century or so we have dramatically increased the amount of acidity in our lives. Diet, stress, emotions and no exercise contribute, in their own ways to the increased acidity in our body.

Alkaline Diet Recipe Book BannerFocusing on the acid alkaline diet for the time being, it will be no surprise to you to learn that the most acidic foods are sugar, trans-fats, yeasts, dairy, simple carbs, alcohol, refined foods etc. These acids manifest in our diets as colas & fizzy drinks, pizza, chips, cakes, biscuits, microwave meals, crisps, breads, caffeine, cheese, fatty meats, ice cream, smoking, beers, wines, condiments, milky drinks, cream etc. all the foods you already know are not good for you.

I’m sure you can guess that the foods that are alkaline to the body are therefore…wait for it…fresh vegetables, salads, leafy greens, omega oils, nuts, seeds, pulses, whole grains. These are fresh foods, raw foods, whole foods, foods with a high-water content and nutritional value.

It makes this diet pretty easy to understand and pretty easy to follow. I think most people, if given a list of foods could put them into the acid or alkaline group 8 times out of 10.

So what makes a food acid or alkaline? There are a few things, but the most important rules are:

1. If a food is high in alkaline minerals including magnesium, potassium, calcium or sodium it is likely to be alkaline to the body.
  2. BUT – regardless of its alkaline mineral content, if it contains any of the following then it will be acidifying:
    • sugar (article about sugar)
    • yeast
    • is fermented (like soy sauce)
    • contains fungi (like mushrooms)
    • is refined/microwaved/processed

So this explains the anomalies. Fruit for instance is generally, unfortunately, acidifying due to it’s high sugar content. Bananas for example are very high in potassium, but are around 25% sugar. The only exceptions are tomatoes, avocados, lemons & limes (great for dressings and flavourings), grapefruit and watermelon (to some degree) which are alkaline because they are so low in sugar.

Sugar is such an issue because the blood deviates from this pH level of 7.365 then it causes major stress to the rest of the body. The body has to maintain this pH level and it will go to extreme measures and sacrifice everything else to make sure it stays there.

It compounds the longer it goes on.

Emotions, stress and a lack of exercise all contribute to this. Dr Young has actually seen, in his analysis of live blood, that emotions can have twice as much of an effect on our blood and health as any food can, so these all play a part. Exercise is obviously essential because it pumps our blood and lymph around the body to remove wastes and helps to deliver oxygen to cells for necessary functioning.

So there you have it – that is the scientific, long version.

Here is the simple version of the Acid Alkaline Diet:

Our body is designed to stay alkaline and will do whatever it takes to do so. When we consume acidic foods and drinks, stop exercising and continually have negative emotions our body is overrun with acids and this causes major disruption.

Not surprisingly the acid foods are the ones you already know are bad for you (cola, chips, chocolate, sweets, burgers, dairy, beer etc) and the alkaline foods are the ones you already know are good for you (fresh foods, leafy green vegetables, salads, nuts, seeds etc).

To become alkaline you simply need to start focusing 70-80% of your diet on the alkaline foods and try to limit the acid foods. Back this up with 3-4 litres of good quality, clean, filtered water each day and you will be very pleasantly surprised by the way you feel.

So follow your mother’s advice and eat your greens!

About energiseforlife.com

So energiseforlife.com is mine and my brother’s website (Callum). We set it up in 2005 after attending an Anthony Robbins UPW seminar in London and having both tried to follow these health principles for a few months we realised it was really difficult. Not only was there nowhere to buy the supplements and equipment but the information out there on the web was terrible, conflicting and in most cases wrong. We knew we could do better…

So energiseforlife.com was formed and here we are, nearly 5 years later!

We are the worlds longest running and largest acid alkaline diet specialist website. The site is split into two main areas: 1) information, resources, guides, recipes etc. (all free) 2) the alkaline diet and wellness store.

Our aim is to give people every resource they need to have the health, body, energy and vitality of their dreams, so this, naturally, is a mixture of information and products.

The type of products we sell to help people include:

• Green Drinks: our cornerstone range. ‘Green Drinks’ are a mixture of powdered grasses (such as wheatgrass, barley grass), vegetables (such as kale, broccoli, spinach), sprouts (such as alfalfa, watercress, broccoli) and low sugar fruits (such as avocado, grapefruit, lemon, lime, tomato). They are a combination of nutrient dense green foods that you mix with a litre of water and drink 3-4 times per day. Our favourite is the Doc Broc Greens from Dr Young.
  • pH Drops: the quality of the water we drink is essential. Especially if we’re drinking 3-4 litres of it per day! The water we drink should be clean of bacteria and fungus and have a pH of above 7. These drops do both of those things. Here is a video I did on this subject! PuripHy is by far the best pH drops product on the market.
  • Alkaline Minerals: as mentioned, the alkaline buffer we have in our body is very small, these minerals help to neutralise the acids we consume and contribute to our overall wellbeing. Largely magnesium, potassium, calcium and sodium. Our favourite is pH Ion Blue!
  • Omega Oils: these essential fatty acids are hard to consume through diet alone. Udo’s Choice is world-renowned for being the best oil supplement by miles.
  • Equipment: juicers, blenders, exercise kit, soy milk makers etc

Last Christmas I also created the world’s first Alkaline Diet Home Study Course. I found that most people struggle to adopt this new lifestyle, not only because of a lack of knowledge, but more because of a lack of organisation and preparation. Watch this short video to find out exactly what you get on the course:

[flv:http://www.energiseforlife.com/alkaline_diet_course/alkaline-diet-course.flv 480 360]
The course is getting phenomenal results!

People are losing masses of weight (one woman lost 6 stone), getting masses more energy, one lady with Fibromyalgia is able to go back to work and start exercising again after being house bound for 3 years, another lady no longer has eczema or arthritis, a guy has lost 12% body fat, people with ‘IBS’ are seeing the problem completely disappear within 2 weeks etc.

It blows me away, but it is definitely real. Personally I have not had a cough or cold for 4 years and my acne has completely gone away (except for in blow out weeks like the wedding!), I have heaps of energy and I have achieved a LOT!

…..So that’s the acid alkaline diet and that’s energiseforlife.com!

I would love to hear your thoughts! If you have any questions or ideas then definitely let me know!

Ross (http://www.energiseforlife.com)

The Acid Alkaline Diet Simplified by

Malena September 12, 2013 at 8:41 am

Can you start this lifestyle change while nursing your baby?

pauline August 29, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Hi Ross, My doctor told me not to give up milk or yogurt, because of the calcium, as it is the best source. Can you suggest an alternative that will fullfill my calcium needs, as I am 59 years old and do not want to get osteoporosis.

Pauline

Kaye White May 13, 2013 at 4:37 am

you mention that grapefruit and watermelon are somewhat alkaline due to the low sugar levels in them however I’ve recently been told by a diabetic that they cant eat watermelon because of the amount of natural sugar in it as it therefore inceases their blood glucose levels. Hence I would have though it would be more acid rather than alkaline. Would you mind clarifying for me please.

Also, as I like to bake I’ve been reseaching lots of other alkaline recipes and some call for things like apple cider vinegar, tamari and cacao powder. Can these be used on the alkaline diet?
cheers, Kaye

Teri April 29, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Im finding myself over the top with great information and dont and know where to begin– help

Kate November 15, 2012 at 10:40 am

I found you while hunting for info on acid/alkaline diets for my nutrition assignment but reading through this page i noticed a comment on colloidal silver. I have started selling this at my practice as it was reccomended to me by a freind, I have used it for a couple of years and love it, however i struggle to explain its origin and benefits to my clients.
Could you please direct me to some informative information on this product.
Kate :)

Andrea Fitzgerald August 6, 2012 at 9:45 am

I compete in body fitness/figure body building so have a high intake of protien in the form of poultry,eggs and lean red meat. (no dairy/whey) the rest of my diet is very healthy and meets the alkaline diet range by default.
My question is, is it possible to maintain muscle mass on a purely alkaline diet as I have read that meat/poultry and eggs all have a negative acidic effect on the body but are necessary protien sources for my sport.
Many thanks
Andrea

Meagan oakley March 25, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I am a Phys Ed teacher in Noosa and am currently teaching quite a few of my classes about this in their health lessons. I do my best to follow an alkaline diet and remain alkaline for the majority of the time except at report writing time when I’m usually stressed to the eyeballs! I have quite a bit of online info i show them and discuss but I’d love it if you could send me some hands on stuff for the kids to use/take home etc. I believe it’s very important and if I can instill this type of lifestyle in them now, I am hoping they will be much happier and healthier adults.
Cheers
Meagan

Mel February 10, 2012 at 8:03 am

Hi there, I am 27 and have had varicose veins for years now. I am vegan but my diet could use some improvement. I don’t think I get enough veges on a daily basis. I work full time and am strapped for time in cooking a great meal each night! I don’t know where to start and what would be good for my vein health. If there is anyone with some tips, your help would be much appreciated!

Dawn January 23, 2012 at 8:42 am

Hi Ross, I am trying hard to adopt a more alkaline way of eating and living. For the past month I have been drinking Dr Brocs green drink several times a day together with Udos oil. I have developed a swollen gland under my left arm. Do you think this is likely to be a detoxing effect. I am also using the Energise rebounder several times a week to help my body expel toxins.

Amanda P January 15, 2012 at 12:43 am

Hey Ross,

I’ve been following your page for some time now (i think you are a legend!!) and although I eat very well I’m now applying the 80/20 rule and have purchased some key products on line to get me kick started in 2012 toward greater health & vitality…

I have one question, actually two; I’m wondering what your thoughts / feedback is on eating principals around the ‘Eat Right For Your Blood Type’ in particular eating protein – I am a B+ which is meat & dairy eating….from experience I know that soy, chickpeas and other plant proteins do not agree with me which is in keeping with the B+ blood diet plan….what are your comments on this?

Thanks & keep keeping ON! : )
Amanda

paul holmes June 13, 2011 at 8:19 pm

i rang your old number 01604491500 to purchase tony robbins pure energy greens with msm,but was told you had moved -what is your new number so i can contact you with my order,thanks.

lina HUN June 13, 2011 at 4:38 pm

what is the pH of alkaline?

Ross June 14, 2011 at 5:51 am

Anything over pH 7 is alkaline

donalyn February 28, 2011 at 12:37 am

I paid for the course but still have not been given the link or password to get into it. Please email me at donaspisak@gmail.com with the key as I would like to have access to the course I paid for. Thank you ahead of time for your cooperation.

rich February 1, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Could you please send me a breakdown of the diet, breakfast, lunch and dinner? Thank you

j foley September 28, 2010 at 9:25 am

i have dodgy cells in my bladder lining but no inflamation and pain all the time. would you recommend this diet

Kim August 23, 2010 at 11:13 pm

I have a question that is really bugging me… is the 70-80% alkaline foods based on volume or weight?
thx!

Steve August 11, 2010 at 5:23 pm

protein?

as a weightlifter, i need lots of protein, around 200 grams per day….

what is the best non-acidic complete proteins you can get, and I don’t eat soya…..

manish May 13, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I will be glad if you could throw some light on a few points
1. You are silent on the use of salt. Does salt with mixture of water make a alkaline and hence good for maintaining ph.
2. If the use of dairy products is so harmful then how is that an infant lives perfectly well for a few years on a diet shich consists solely of milk?
Manish

Ross November 11, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Thanks ‘Colloidal Silver’!

Good one for promoting the use of silver too. We love it here at energise and it is one of our biggest sellers!

Colloidal Silver October 24, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Thanks for informing me more on this subject. I’ve been hearing a lot about this diet and the benefits that it can provide. After reading your article, I think I might just have to give it a try.

Maja October 21, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Ross,

One of my friends met you at a seminar in London and advised me to this page and it’s fantastic! I have been asked many times what I drink (supergreens) and why i always eat sallad and besides saying I do it because I feel great I have had problems to shorten down this whole information. Now I know exactly what I will say!

Thank you and keep up the good work!!

Ross October 21, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Hi Maja

That is great news! Who was your friend?

Keep going with the alkalising and let me know if there is anything I can do to support you!

louise quadrelli October 15, 2009 at 5:26 pm

Please help me. For the last 8 years I have struggled with poor health after much research I came to the conclusion yeast was the culprit, 6 years ago I cut out all sugars( inc.fruit) alcohol, dairy, wheat, gluten, sunflower, corn the list goes on. I experienced a good improvement in health but could never vary from this diet, I also had to cut out beans pulses etc. I am now sufferin g from the chronic fatigue again, swollen face with dreadful facial eczema. I also have patches of eczema on my hands, I am too tired to help myself I am only 44yrs and feel I have had enough,I have been putting ph drops in my water, I don’t know what water to drink any more, I was drinking distilled water with ph drops. I feel my body is starving I am always hungry. I eat efa’s everyday and also e3 afa I spend around £200 a month on my health our family has no savings left and I am just feeling I have had enough of this life, please any advice would really help.

Ross October 21, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Hi Louise

I really recommend you check out our Alkaline Diet Course and email me personally on ross@energiseforlife.com

jamie October 15, 2009 at 10:01 am

hi
i have a question that i hope you can help with. i’ve been using green dirnks for a while now and decided to get my mum on them too. she started taking them and within a few days she got cold like symptons, a runny nose and mucusy etc. i told her this is normal and good for you, but maybe she should reduce the amount. she asked the reaosn for why taking a green drink makes you mucusy and wanted to know the science behind it. However i could not answer, so please can you give me a detailed explanation of why green drinks make you cleanse out your system and produce mucus? also how long before you stop producing mucus??

Ross October 21, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Hi Jamie

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The symptoms your mum is experiencing are known as ‘detox symptoms’ and will last for as long as your mums body needs to get toxins out. Your body gets toxins out in a number of ways (sweat, urine etc) and through your nose is one of the primary ways. Your body does this by binding the toxins up in mucous and carrying them out. So the response is that as your mum is getting healthier, her body is being given the tools to start repairing itself.

Hope this helps – let me know if you need to know more!

Evajean October 15, 2009 at 12:55 am

Ross-
Thanks for your article. I stumbled upon this website a while ago after some friends returned from an Anthony Robbins seminar and started telling my husband and I about the alkaline way of living which led me to do some web reasearch and led me here.
I have been reading and reading and I believe this alkaline way of eating and thinking is the direction health wise I want to go.
I just wanted to say thank you for what you do, it is changing lives!

Ross October 21, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Hi Evajean

Thanks so much for your kind words. I also found this way of living from Tony Robbins back at UPW in, I think, 2003! It has changed everything for me!

Keep in touch and let me know if you have any questions along the way!