Alkaline Water: Lemon Water is Alkaline! An Explanation…

lemon water alkaline drinkI’ve blogged extensively about lemon water before, and even include it in my Definitive Guide to Alkaline Water – because I think it is such a great, powerful, natural, cleansing drink to start the day.

I’ve never heard any complaints from anyone saying it is not good for you but I am very frequently asked: is it alkaline?

Or should I say, I’m very frequently told ‘lemon’s aren’t alkaline, you idiot – do some research and read up on science’.

Of course, these people are right, lemons are not alkaline, they are citric acid of course – but those people are missing the point and are missing what I am saying.

I am not saying that lemons are alkaline, I am saying that lemons are alkalising!

See the distinction here? And by the way, this applies to all foods, not just lemons & limes. The most important thing to note is not what the pH of the food is in it’s natural state – rather the EFFECT THE FOOD HAS ON THE BODY.

Because of its very low sugar content and high alkaline mineral content, lemons actually have an alkalising effect on the body.

Why Acid/Alkaline Food Charts Differ

In fact, this is why a lot of acid/alkaline food charts differ – and the main difference is with fruits. A lot of food charts use the PRAL scale to categorise foods as acid or alkaline (PRAL is Potential Renal Acid Load). While this is a very accurate scale for many purposes, it is misleading for the alkaline diet because it only considers what the pH of the food is BEFORE consumption, not after.

PRAL is determined by burning the food down until it is just an ash residue and then measuring the pH of that ash. However, this actually burns away all of the sugars and yeasts and a heap of other substances that have a dramatically acid effect on the body.

Hence why in some lists pineapple and bananas are considered alkaline. It is because they contain lots of alkaline minerals such as potassium – however they are also incredibly high in sugar (25% +) which means that no matter how many nutrients they contain they will always be really acidic to the body and lead to massive yeast problems.

The same goes for lemons, limes, grapefruits and tomatoes – but the other way around. PRAL would list them as acidic, due to the ash residue, however, because of the low, low sugar content and high alkaline mineral content they are actually alkalising to the body once consumed.

There are lots of people out there (nowadays) writing about the alkaline diet, but we still believe in the research and views of Robert Young – the most experienced biologist, scientist, nutritionist and researcher in the alkaline diet field and, quite frankly, the pioneer of the alkaline diet.

He states:

“Well, isn’t lemon juice acidic too?” It’s actually true that if you took some pH paper and tested lemon juice it would test acid, but once the lemon juice is metabolized in the body, the inherent alkalizing mineral salts contained in the lemon juice (and the bicarbonates that it pulls into the blood during digestion) leaves a residue of alkaline ash in the bloodstream. Also because of their low sugar content, lemons and limes do not ferment in the blood.”

So there you have it – lemon water IS alkalising to the body and I highly recommend you drink it!

How to Use Lemon Water

Here are my simple instructions:

1. Drink daily, upon rising
2. Mix 8 parts normal water to 2 parts boiled water to make lukewarm/tepid water
3. Squeeze approximately ¼ lemon into 500ml of water. This is a rough estimate you don’t need to be precise.
4. Enjoy!

DO NOT ADD ANY FORM OF SUGAR, YES THAT INCLUDES HONEY as this will make this drink HIGHLY acidifying.

Take care and leave comments or questions below!

For more information about alkaline water click here to download my free report “The Definitive Guide to Alkaline Water”.

Alkaline Water: Lemon Water is Alkaline! An Explanation... by

Mr. KhandaCool December 7, 2014 at 6:50 am

I’ve recently found out about the alkalinising effect of lemon after which I cut into small slices, 2 lemons and put them in about 10 litres of filtered water. I then wondered what is the right amount to put? Will putting “too much” lemons have a negative effect for instance if the water tastes too citric?

Your last sentence about adding honey creating water to be acidic is concerning because I was planning to use my good water for all purposes such as cooking, making tea and such.

Khristine November 27, 2014 at 1:29 am

I have gastric acid. Am I allowed to drink Lemon water?

Anna August 21, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Can I have lime juice any time of the day for the alkaline effect.?
Or is it brnificial only if you have it in the morning on an empty stomach?

Energise Ross August 23, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Any time of the day is fine, but it’s esepecially good first thing as it helps get your digestive system and metabolism going.

Jackie May 12, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I suffer from intestitial cystitus and can’t eat acids or caffine etc. Does this mean that as lemon and lime juice changes to alkaline in the body will I be able to drink this?

Selina O'Connor March 14, 2011 at 11:43 am

Hi Ross, I have the juice of half a lemon with some cold tap water every morning. Does it matter how much lemon you have?
S

Ross April 8, 2011 at 10:13 am

Hello Selina,
The lemon would depend on how you prefer your juice. If you want it a little sour just put in a lot more lemon.

aj March 1, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Is it ok to eat white grapefruit for breakfast?

Ross April 8, 2011 at 10:05 am

Hi Aj,
Yes definitely. Grapefruit are highly alkaline and is very good for breakfast.

Nika December 16, 2010 at 11:50 am

Thank you Ross, well written.
You wrote; “DO NOT ADD ANY FORM OF SUGAR, YES THAT INCLUDES HONEY as this will make this drink HIGHLY acidifying”.
Any changes to the drink when I add Stevia to lime water?

sandee pawan September 5, 2011 at 7:54 am

Stevia is actually alkaline. So go for it.

VICTORIA November 12, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Vickies question above is my concern too. What do you say?THANKS

Mr. November 1, 2010 at 4:24 am

What about lemon concentrate or organic lemon concentrate made from lemons? Or just 100% lemon in natural form?

vickie September 17, 2010 at 4:28 pm

does drinking lemon water while taking my vitamins have any affect on the vitamins?

Jan August 31, 2010 at 9:36 am

Hi, I been drinking lemon water for years. For simplicity and convenient, I will usually sliced up the whole lemon with skin intact, put them in the fridge and uses a slice whenever i drink water.

Just wonder how effective with the lemon be since i cut them hours ahead of consumption and with skin intact?

Ross August 31, 2010 at 10:15 am

Hi Jan

My main concern would be if the lemon peel has traces of pesticides then these will be absorbed into the water if they are sat in it for a few hours. Washing with high pH water from an ionizer will remove the pesticides – or, if you buy organic it is not really an issue.

Mike August 28, 2010 at 2:37 am

I believe it is very important for people to start to understand the need to detoxify you body of acid condition that we humans acquire just from everyday living. I have found that AMA. and Drug Companies really protest this information getting out. What would they do if everyone got healthy. They just might lose some money, Ya Think!!!
Anyway, give it a try. I know, it has really worked for me and it will for you. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

carl boyd August 27, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I am diabetic and steer clear of sugar but do take sweetners ( spenda) is this ok in my lemon/lime water in the mornings

Michael August 25, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Hey Ross! 1/4 lemon per 500 ml. How much lime for the same 500 ml (since limes are way cheaper where I am from)? Also, can you use the liquid lemon juice like Real Lemon to get the same effect?

Thanks for all the information!

Katia January 17, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I have just started this diet and bought the alkalife to add 2 drops with water to drink four cups a day. but i have a large hiatal hernia and iritation of the stomach wall. as soon as i prepare 1 cup of boiling water and add 2 drops of this alkalife and let it to cool a bit and drink so that i substitute with tea I found that suddenly my heartburn increase. this is contradicting what this alkaline drink suppose to do. why it is increasing suddenly my acid. is it suppose to decrease it? can please someone help. because i am frustrated with this pain. and in Malta you won’t find help on this things. doctors don’t care.

Ross April 7, 2011 at 9:58 am

Hi Katia,
The uneasiness that you are feeling is a product of your body detoxifying from the acids that you have taken from the past. But just continue with the alkaline drink then you will see results after a while.

Jack May 17, 2013 at 3:49 am

Stay away from splenda (typo?) or any other artificial sweeteners.

shari August 24, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I came across this product a few months ago, looking for a way to be sure that the water I was drinking was actually entering my cells (I’ve had a metabolic problem for decades). Composition: a dose of 36.36 g (diluted in a liter of water and drunk in sips throughout the day) is made up of: Sodium 64.3mmol/l Potassium 20 ” ”
citrate 10 ” ” chloride 54.3 ” ” Recently, I’ve understood that I’m too acidic and so to turn that around, do you think adding this to my water provides helps? thanks, bks

Olivia August 21, 2010 at 6:58 am

Hi, I’m drinking lemon water and it seems to be a great appetite suppressant, but is the lemon bad for tooth enamel? I’ve read it actually destroys it. Thanks

kelly August 19, 2010 at 7:30 am

how about fruits enzyme, r their alkaline also?

kelly August 19, 2010 at 7:29 am

lemon water will cos gastric or not?

Espen August 18, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Hey! Have a quick question I hope you can answear.
I have been alkalizing for about a month, so I have just gotten started. I have taken hair mineral analyses and the test showes that that I am really low on magnesium. So I have for years tried to get this strait without any luck. I have struggeled with muscle cramps in the intire body. An have probably tried all magnesium products on the market. I have also got the phour salt wich I have only consumed a couple of tablets of. I am not sure if I should take phour salt becasue it contains kalsium and the hair analyse showed that I had alot of kalsium in the tissue? The reason I get cramps is because the relationship between calsium and magnesium is so wrong. Is it smartest to only take magnesium until it gets better and then begin to take phour salt? If so. Do you have any recommendation to what kind of magnesium supplement I should take, and where to get it from?