How to Measure 80% Alkaline to 20% Acid?

by Ross Bridgeford

I’ve had a fair amount of questions from people who have downloaded my Ultimate Acid Alkaline Food Charts who want to know how they measure out foods to make sure they hit the desired 80/20 ratio of alkaline/acid.

As I understand it, I should be eating 70-80% of my food from the alkaline list, so, is that 70-80% by volume or weight or calories? 2 cups of spinach is a lot more volume than 4 oz of meat, but weighs a lot less, thus my confusion.

My Answer:

The measurement can and should be entirely visual. Don’t worry about weight, calories, fat, protein, carbs or anything else – just look at your plate! Is it covered with 80% or more alkaline forming foods? If so, you’re set.

The trick with the alkaline diet is not to over-think it and be too hung up on being exact and specific. Just make sure that at each meal 80% of your plate is alkaline and in your general food choices go for alkaline whenever possible.

For instance, you don’t have to give up pasta. Just make the serving size smaller than you’re used to so 20% of the plate is wholemeal pasta and the other 80% is alkaline vegetables. Same with Asian food – make the rice brown instead of white and keep it to 20% of the place and fill the rest up with alkaline foods. OR if you have a little more pasta/rice, serve the meal with a side salad – so this ups the relative amount of alkaline stuff going into your body. Easy right?

If you keep it easy – you’ll find it a lot more straightforward and simple to stick to


p.s. I am really not meaning to over-simplify here, but this is an important concept – the alkaline diet does not need to be difficult, complex or confusing! Read my acid/alkaline diet simplified article for more.

Do You Want To Get Alkaline for Huge Energy?

Grab your free, instant access to my Alkaline & Acid Food Charts & Eating Guide,
10 Delicious Alkaline Recipes
& my instant Alkaline Starter Pack Training. Plus my latest free guides delivered direct to your inbox each week.

Your information is 100% secure. By registering here, you will recieve weekly articles, videos and other tips to help you get alkaline. You can unsubscribe at any time.

How to Measure 80% Alkaline to 20% Acid? by

About Ross Bridgeford

Ross Bridgeford is known as THE Alkaline Diet Expert...especially when it comes to implementation and making the alkaline diet REAL in your life. He has been living, learning, teaching, coaching and loving the alkaline lifestyle since 2004 and has written over 650 articles, alkaline recipes, videos and guides on how to live alkaline and stay alkaline for life.

{ 3 comments… read them below or add one }

Joanne Field May 30, 2014 at 10:21 am

Hi Ross, I am wondering about coffee and just how acidic is it? Is it possible to eat and 80/20 diet which includes a coffee a day and stay alkaline?
Thanks, jo


Alicia Perry August 29, 2010 at 11:45 pm

I just found your blog, and wanted to say “thank you” for taking the time to put it together. I’m just starting out, and trying to get my alkaline level up (I’m currently at 6.2 on the PH scale, ugggh!), and can use all the help I can find in choosing the right foods, etc. So once again, thank you, for all you’re doing.



Ross February 16, 2011 at 12:37 am

Hey Alicia – no worries – I’m glad you like the blog! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help – we’ve been researching the alkaline diet and alkaline foods for a long time so we are usually able to assist in some way!



Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: