Alkaline Breakfast Recipe Guide
[Note: Updated January 2015]
When you first start to live the alkaline diet and you go through your list of alkaline foods to work out what to eat, one of the first questions that you will ask is “what am I going to have for breakfast?”.
At first glance I can understand why! Alkaline breakfasts, without guidance, can seem impossible – but I tell you what – they are actually really easy when you know how….and the good news is….I know how.
And the better news is…I’m going to teach you how to make delicious alkaline breakfasts in under five minutes!
And what’s more in this article I will also be giving you an EXACT, step-by-step, day-by-day transition from wherever you are now to eating delicious alkaline breakfasts every day.
Oh and I’ve got a bunch of quick and easy alkaline breakfast recipes there for you too…
YUM! Let’s get going, because this simple guide could be YOUR missing link to your best ever energy!
“Change Your Breakfast, Change Your Life”
Changing your breakfast habits is one of the key, fundamental, life changing lessons I learned from Joseph McClendon. Joeseph is an absolute genius.
Hundreds of studies have proven that there is a direct correlation between an insufficient breakfast and the quality of your health – including your energy, excess weight, chronic fatigue, inflammtion, auto-immune disorders, premature aging and more.
Have a think now, and write down (I encourage you to) what have you had for breakfast for the past week?
Stop and do that now.
I bet it hasn’t been an alkaline breakfast has it? And I don’t blame you, unless you know the types of recipes and strategies I’m going to teach you in this guide it can be so hard to work out what to have if you want to have a healthy, alkaline start to the day.
When it comes to breakfast, most people will fall into one of three categories:
Breakfast 1: nothing for breakfast
Breakfast 2: the fast (barely there) breakfast
Breakfast 3: the standard Western variety
Each of these has it’s own issues, so let me take you through them one-by-one:
No Breakfast Makes You Fat, Slow and Low
When you have nothing for breakfast you’re getting your body off to a terrible start – shocking stuff. After a 7-10 hour fast (while you sleep) your body is absolutely crying out for nutrients and your metabolism has ground to a halt.
This starts a vicious cycle immediately in your day.
Not only do your cells start to cannibalise to get the nutrients they need (including breaking down bones and muscle) but your body trains itself not to expect food in the morning, so your metabolism gets even slower as your body goes into ‘starvation mode’ – clinging onto any fat it can for energy.
Too many people skip breakfast and it sends your blood sugar and energy levels on a roller-coaster that will end up in snacking, poor diet choices and binging – sending you blood sugar and energy levels spiraling even further out of control.
The snacks people often turn to around 10-11am when they haven’t had breakfast are usually grain-based, which compounds this situation further (and we’ll get onto this in more detail in just a moment. If you’ve been relying on grain-based foods for breakfast, brace yourself!)
A healthy breakfast eases your metabolism into action, keeping you steady and stable and reducing the likelihood of poor food choices.
Please, please, please don’t skip breakfast.
Brekkie #2: The Fast Breakfast…aka the Fast Track to Fatigue and Fat
You’re in a hurry and you grab whatever you can on your way out of the door, or worse, on your commute. Have a think about these foods – coffee, toast, bagel, sausage roll, pastry, jam…
Do you think these are going to energise your body?! Do you think these are alkaline and energy giving?
Of course not. And to compound this, we then eat these foods while we’re on the move which totally messes with your digestive system – when you eat you should be sitting and focused on that task, not moving and mindlessly putting the food in. Your digestive system needs you to be steady and sitting to work properly.
Brekkie #3: The (Low) Standard Breakfast
When you think about the typical western breakfast what do you think of?
Do you think of ingredients such as eggs, bacon, sausages, cereal, toast, jam, orange juice, milk, fried toast, french toast, pancakes, syrup, coffee, tea…
All, yes, ALL of those foods are very acid forming, will zap your energy, send your blood sugar spiraling out of control and leave you feeling that 10-11am slump, if they don’t already have you snoozing on your commute to work.
The Problem With Grains
Did you know that the consumption of grains sends your blood sugar rocketing more than a candy bar?
Yes, even whole-grain, multi-grain foods we have been repeatedly told by the (vested interest) government, food industry, doctors and mainstream media.
Yes, the grains that are at the bottom (i.e. biggest part) of the food pyramid.
Yes, the grains that we’ve been told are good for us for decades are actually one of the most damaging things you can eat.
The topic of grains is a whole guide in itself, but for the sake of making sure you understand that grains are going AGAINST your energy and health goals, let me explain simply what happens to your blood sugar when you eat grains for breakfast.
When you consume grains, the polysaccharide called amylopectin A (present in all grains) spikes your blood sugar more rapidly and wildly than eating a candy bar.
When your blood sugar spikes like this, it sends a message to your pancreas to release insulin quickly.
Repeated insulin release directly causes inflammation in the body which leads to two responses. One is the formation of visceral fat and the other is to stimulate your immune system into response to the inflammation.
The more visceral fat you have, the worse your response to insulin and thus the harder your pancreas has to work to produce MORE insulin than before.
Which then leads to more inflammation, more visceral fat and so on.
This hyper-stimulation of your immune system also directly leads to more inflammation, more visceral fat, more insulin, more inflammation and so on.
Here are just three of the outcomes of this acidity-inflammation-immune response:
- Your digestive system gets clogged and inflamed, with acidic wastes (such as yeasts and candida, which are fuelled by the acidic diet and the sugars) clogging up your large intestine where your nutrients are normally absorbed. The ‘anti-nutrients’ in grains, we haven’t even talked about also cause holes to appear in the large intestine causing further inflammation and immune response, but that’s a whole other guide!). So even when you DO eat good foods, you’re only getting a fraction of the benefit.
- The inflammation-induced fat formation leads to weight gain, but this is just the start. The acid wastes that the body is NOT able to neutralize and eliminate get stored in more bodily fat in order to protect your vital organs. The stressed pancreas is now also not able to access bodily fat for energy, meaning fat is stored and stays there
- The over-stimulation of the immune system eventually leads to a host of auto-immune conditions including rheumatoid arthritis, Hashimoto’s, Crohn’s and more
And this is just the start.
The longer it goes on, the more it compounds.
And starting the day with grains simply sets you up with a MOUNTAIN to climb. The consumption of grains starts a 90-120 minute cycle of blood sugar surge and dramatic dip (which then leads you to crave more grains or, worse, sugar).
Can you imagine how GREAT it would be if you actually felt vibrant and alive in the mornings?!
How To Kick Start Your Day to Ignite Your Energy & Weight Loss…Immediately:
The Energise Alkaline Breakfast Plan: 14 Days to an Alkaline A.M.
Now I know that you might be thinking that after ruling out the foods like eggs, toast, cereal, milk etc. there is nothing left to eat!
But I am here to tell you that there is.
There are still SO MANY great, healthy breakfast choices and all of those acid, energy robbing ingredients are only common to breakfast because we have been conditioned that way.
After following this 14-day plan, you will have started to break that conditioning and in it’s place is the formation of new, healthy habits, that given a little time this will be on autopilot.
So here is the plan…I’ll make it really easy to start eating alkaline foods for breakfast every day:
Firstly I am going to give you a list of breakfasts for the next two weeks.
Then I am going to give you the guidance that will help make it a reality, but here is what I want you to do first.
Right away I want you to stop reading this, grab a pen and paper or open up Word and write down how your life would be different if you were waking up at 6am, naturally, each day, full of energy – able to jump right out of bed and then feeling on top of the world, full of vitality all morning. What could you get done with the extra time in the morning? How would it make you feel?
- Maybe you would be able to start that exercise you’ve been wanting to do but never had the time or couldn’t get yourself out of bed in the morning.
- Maybe you get to spend a few extra hours a day with your partner and children.
- Maybe you get to go for a walk and watch the sun rise.
- Maybe you can start to meditate or do yoga.
- Maybe you can use these few hours to work on that business idea you’ve been putting off because you didn’t have time
Go back again to thinking about how this would make you FEEL. Stay with that focus for a few seconds and get excited.
Giving yourself the gift of time and energy will do more for your life than 99% of anything else you could do. So please follow this short exercise.
Step One: Your New Alkaline Breakfast Menu Plan
I will start you gently, but what you are moving towards here is a nutrient dense, energising, alkaline breakfast that will have you feeling just awesome in no time:
(note: where the recipes are not obvious, I have linked to these below)
The Alkaline Breakfast Plan: WEEK ONE
- Day 1: Organic oats cooked in water with a splash of coconut milk added at the end. If you prefer, you can use the homemade almond milk (recipe below). An alternative is to use quinoa or a mix of quinoa and oats. Top this with organic berries and if needed, a little sprinkle of coconut sugar
- Day 2: Organic oats again. Keeping it simple to ensure you are not overwhelmed.
- Day 3: Slices of avocado, cucumber, tomato and alfalfa sprouts on a slice of sprouted bread (Ezekiel bread), drizzled with olive oil, Himalayan salt & pepper
- Day 4: Scrambled Tofu Mega-Brekkie (see recipe below)
- Day 5: Alkaline Transition Muesli (see recipe)
- Day 6: Slices of avocado, cucumber, tomato and alfalfa sprouts on a slice of sprouted bread (Ezekiel bread), drizzled with olive oil, Himalayan salt & pepper
- Day 7: Coconut Chia Cream Pots! This is a delicious, fibre-rich, omega-3 rich, UNBELIEVABLY DELICIOUS breakfast recipe. It’s so delicious it can also be used as an alkaline dessert! (See recipe below)
The Alkaline Breakfast Plan: WEEK TWO
- Day 8: Alkaline Chai-Infused Quinoa Porridge (see recipe)
- Day 9: Alkaline Transition Muesli (see recipe)
- Day 10: Slices of avocado, cucumber, tomato and alfalfa sprouts on a slice (or two) of sprouted bread
- Day 11: Alkaline Power Smoothie (see recipe) – a smoothie of blended avocado, cucumber, spinach, green pepper and more
- Day 12: Alkaline Chai-Infused Quinoa Porridge (see recipe)
- Day 13: Alkaline Power Smoothie (see recipe) – a smoothie of blended avocado, cucumber, spinach, green pepper and more
- Day 14: Chia Cream Pots again as a celebration of deliciousness!
A NOTE ON SOME OF THE INGREDIENTS INCLUDED:
Please note that this is a transitional plan – this means that you are not trying to be perfect from day one.
In an ideal world, we will all start the day with an alkaline juice or smoothie, either as breakfast, or as a pre-breakfast (in my case, I tend to eat a lot!).
In all of my experience, when people try and be perfect straight away they just end up giving up after 24 hours and feel worse than before. (See here for a video on this)
This is a transitional plan that I think that EVERYONE can stick to and enjoy. And after this two weeks you will be having an alkaline breakfast more often than not and still enjoying your food.
PLUS these recipes are fast and easy to make! It’s win-win-win.
The Alkaline Breakfast Recipes from the Plan Above:
Here is your action plan:
- Do the visualization exercise I gave you. Do it, do it, do it!
- Print the Alkaline Breakfast plan and put it on your fridge or kitchen cupboard
- Prepare your shopping list and shop for these ingredients one week at a time – that way you will have everything you need, ready to go – with no excuses.
- Start on a Saturday or Sunday so you can get into the routine at a leisurely pace without the pressures of work
- Take some snacks with you to work, such as nuts, seeds and fruit (pref low sugar fruit that’s in season) just in case you don’t get the quantity right to keep you going
- Reward yourself at the end of each successful day
- Read your vision each night before bed and then when you wake up in the morning before you get out of bed – doing this will guarantee you will succeed – so if you seriously want to achieve this then doing this step will guarantee it. 100% guarantee.
Now go for it!
I would love to hear from you – so please get in touch by leaving a comment below. All you have to do is enter your name, email (only used for verification, you won’t go onto a database or anything) and comment and then hit the send button.
I will answer all comments personally and I really want to connect!
And if you like this – CLICK THE ‘LIKE’ BUTTON!…nice one!
Stay happy, stay healthy
Do You Want To Get Alkaline for Huge Energy?
Grab your free, instant access to my Alkaline & Acid Food Charts & Eating Guide,
10 Delicious Alkaline Recipes & my instant Alkaline Starter Pack Training. Plus my latest free guides delivered direct to your inbox each week.
Your information is 100% secure. By registering here, you will recieve weekly articles, videos and other tips to help you get alkaline. You can unsubscribe at any time.