You know what, I alkaline diet questions every day in my emails, comments and on Facebook and I just realised today that I should really share more of the answers – especially if they are questions that come up frequently!
Alkaline Diet Q&A – How Long Does It Take?
Thanks for your email Ross. I’ve always been interested food as a main player in good health but never stuck to it. I weigh 104 kgs (I’ve lost 2kgs in 2 days) and IO have diabetes and arthritis. I have never taken medication for the arthritis diagnosed around five years ago but have stuck mainly to high protein diets and cinnamon as a supplement and my glucose has always stayed even at around 6.1 although my cholesterol is getting higher and in April was 5.7. I cannot drive and love long distance walking so when I was recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my knees – I decided it was time to creak into old age without my walking OR do something about it for real this time.
So here I am on day 4 eating 100% alkaline diet and drinking about 4 litres of water each day.
My problems are going to the loo constantly but I guess that is only to be expected eh? I also sleep very lightly for most of the night and would prefer to sleep more deeply. Enough of the the preamble here are my questions:
1) How long will it take for a worn out body to become well again; i.e.alkalised to the max
2) I am walking from Calais to Rome in July. I am taking chlorella, wheat grass and spirulina with me and also turmeric, ginger and cinnamon and pink salt. I will eat mainly from shops in rural France, Switzerland and Italy. l have thought about taking a bottle of oil in my rucksack but not only must I travel light but the oil will get heated in the sun so that will probably not work. Do you have any other tips for me?
1. This really is a ‘how long is a piece of string’ type question. If you’re coming from quite an acid-forming background you may feel a little worse before you feel better. It also depends on HOW you alkalise as well as how dedicated you are. Some people think they’re going great but are making one or two little mistakes that are costing them. More on this below.
If you’ve been on a high protein diet I would expect that it has been quite acid-forming for a few years. Many people are in this position.
You have two options when first starting out:
Option One: you can go on an ‘Alkaline Cleanse’ which is essentially an alkaline detox where you consume only raw alkaline soups, alkaline juices and smoothies and get plenty of goo quality water (I have a free guide to doing an alkaline cleanse here) for anything between 3-10 days. I did a diary of a 3 day cleanse here which you can read to get an insight into what it’s like.
Option Two: you can transition more gently onto the alkaline approach by hitting the main stuff first (lots of greens, hydration, oils, alkaline minerals, exercise) and then work on perfecting it over time.
My concern is that going 100% full time, long-term from the word go as you have often ends in people finding it too much of a change and they give up after a few days or weeks (or hours!).
If you’re going to go with option one definitely download the Alkaline Cleanse Guide and try to stick to it for at least 3 days before going onto option two. If you’re going to go with option two then I’d definitely download my Beginners Guide to the Alkaline Diet which you can access from my homepage.
So how long does it take to see results…?
Well, if you go with option 1 – the alkaline cleanse you will see a CHANGE very quickly, and if you’ve come from an acidic diet you’ll probably feel pretty crappy for a few days, but after you break through that you’ll feel sensational.
If you go with option 2 and follow my suggestions then you’ll definitely start to see a turnaround pretty quickly. I guess it depends on what you consider to be ‘success’. You should start to feel clearer in your head and have more energy pretty quickly – within 48 hours, and will start to drop body fat and get that more restful sleep within a week.
Note: with option 2 I definitely recommend ‘getting the good in’ before worrying about ‘cutting the bad out’. The thing with focusing on the good stuff is that the more you eat, the less room you’ll have for the bad stuff. PLUS the more good you eat and drink the less you’ll crave the bad stuff because your body will start to realise how much better you feel without it – you’ll start to realise it’s not worth it!
2. I would definitely persevere with the oil – it’s so important, especially if you’re burning lots of calories each day. Go for oil in dark capsules and a dark bottle and keep in a cool area of your bag each day. Even if you can only take enough supply for one or two caps per day this is WAY better than none at all. And of course, if you get the chance have plenty of oils on your salads etc.
Now – when you’re first staring out here are some pitfalls that can catch people out:
1) Oils. Sounds like you’re doing ok on this front – but just make sure that you’re getting 3 spoons of omega 3 each day.
2) Eating ENOUGH – when people go hardcore alkaline from their previous diet they struggle for recipes that give them enough calories each day – you can find a heap of my alkaline diet recipes here – and also check out some of the suggestions in this article I wrote about alkaline diet and muscle
3) Water quality – are you filtering your water or having any means of making it more alkaline-forming? You can download my free guide to alkaline water
4) Getting enough leafy greens – people tend to stick to veggies, pulses and the low sugar fruits – all of which are great but you do need to get lots of leafy greens, especially when in ‘repair’ – a simple tip is to have a side salad with each lunch and dinner.
I go into this more in my Beginners Guide to the Alkaline Diet – which is a free 3-part video series you can access by signing up on my Alkaline Diet home page here
Check these out and let me know if you have any questions at all!
Do You Want To Get Alkaline for Huge Energy?
Grab your free, instant access to my Alkaline & Acid Food Charts & Eating Guide,
10 Delicious Alkaline Recipes & my instant Alkaline Starter Pack Training. Plus my latest free guides delivered direct to your inbox each week.
Your information is 100% secure. By registering here, you will recieve weekly articles, videos and other tips to help you get alkaline. You can unsubscribe at any time.