Alkaline Diet Q&A#2: How Long Does a Green Drink Stay Fresh

green juice!

Hey guys

You know what, I answer about 50-100 alkaline diet questions every day in my emails, comments and on Facebook and I just realised today that I should really share more of the answers – especially if they are questions that come up frequently!

Today I was asked “How long does a (fresh) green drink last in the fridge?” – by fresh green drink we’re referring to freshly juiced alkaline vegetables such as celery, spinach, lettuce, kale, carrots, cucumber etc.

How long will a green drink keep fresh in the fridge? My roommate and I work opposite schedules. When I’m out of work late at night she’s usually asleep and I don’t want to wake her with the juicer and the same in the morning. If I make a juice will it last 24 hours in the fridge?

Thanks Ross,
J
P.s. I love your website. Thanks for everything.

My Response:

Hey J

Thanks for getting in touch and telling me you love the site! It means a lot – it really does!

A green drink will keep for a while if you keep it airtight and if you have some pH drops – add 2-3 of those per 500ml. The problem that I find with keeping veggie juices is the flavour profile changes over the course of a few hours and becomes a bit odd. But if you don’t mind it, go for it.

Of course, as with all fresh foods, the moment they are altered from their natural state (by chopping, steaming, slicing, juicing, blending etc) their nutrient content begins to deteriorate – albeit slowly – over time, so the longer you leave it the less nutrient rich it is. But it’s all relative – it will still be awesome!

Here’s a better suggestion though. Put in 50% of the funds each and buy a Hurom KT100 slow juicer (sometimes called an Oscar and sometimes other names – depends on which country you’re in – if you look up the Hurom on my site you’ll see what it looks like and then just google slow juicer in your country and find the equivalent).

This juicer is practically silent – it never ever wakes up anyone in my household – and it produces juice that is WAY more nutrient dense than the louder whizzy juicers.

I hope this helps!

Note: if you have a question get in touch in the comments below!

Alkaline Diet Q&A#2: How Long Does a Green Drink Stay Fresh by

Jenny June 10, 2014 at 6:46 am

I’ve juiced/smoothied for the week! Put in glass bottles, filled to the very top and keep in the fridge. Made on Saturday and, so far, my Tuesday juice/smoothie tastes no different to what it did on Saturday.

Dr. Tom Hunter June 9, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Thanks for the advice! But if you like pulp, avoid the juicer he mentions. Because of it’s slow juicing action. Some prefer this (more juice and less pulp). I prefer the pulp for the added fiber.

Joanne June 9, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Green drink or any juice drink depends on your juicer. With masticated juicers about 20 minutes before you start losing those vitamins.

jean December 10, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Hi Ross, I just used a ph strip on my kombucha found it’s very acidic. Also, after Googling kombucha, amongst all the good things said about it a conventional medical site said a couple of people have died of acidosis. I wondered if you have an opinion of this lovely drink. Thanks a lot.

Alba October 31, 2012 at 11:58 am

Are frosen vegetables alkaline? I live in Denmark and we have really good frosen vegetables.
Thanks, Alba

colin mcintosh September 26, 2012 at 8:11 am

ross what is aloe vera juice akaline or acidic an at what level low, medium. or high

Scott September 26, 2012 at 7:19 am

A couple of tips I do to help maintain the juice:
- add a drop of olive oil into the juice
- add/spray some sole (liquid salt)
- Dr Young has said that adding a capsule of a natural vitamin C cap will help too; not done this one yet though

Scott

Corinne September 26, 2012 at 5:35 am

I have a similar problem in that my next door neighbour came and knocked on my door and asked me very nicely to please not run my juicer at 5 a.m. Fair enough! So I am now juicing my green juice for the morning at night. I put it in a stainless steel jug and fill it really full so there’s barely any air. And I am saving up for a Hurom – hopefully it will mean he can’t hear it, but if not, what I understand is, yes, the juice is higher in nutrients, but also because it hasn’t been masticated/heated, it oxidizes more slowly and therefore lasts longer. I can’t wait!

I’ve also read you can freeze a stainless steel thermos and then put the juice into the thermos – in your case you could then keep it in the fridge.

Good luck! I’m very determined to find a way to make this work so I am having 2 litres of juice per day. I am making my supper juice fresh, so that helps.

Satu September 26, 2012 at 1:47 am

Hi!

I love your website. I noticed you didn’t answer the question though. Does green drink stay for 24 hours?

Thanks!