How to Make a Smoothie that Doubles your Energy!

by Energise Ross

energy boosting smoothie recipe

Wouldn’t it be great to have more energy?

Not the buzzy, short-lived caffeine energy (and then crash) that so many of us try to survive on…

But, the kind of energy that gives you that positive feeling, the belief that you can take anything the world throws at you…

The kind of energy where you always feel like you can do your best…

And the kind of energy that leaves you excited and smiling and a joy to be around.

Would you love to have more of that?

Thought so… let’s get some!

SEE ALSO: Get Over 150+ Delicious, Easy Alkaline Recipes Here

The Smoothie That Doubles Your Energy…All Day Long

Over the next two days, I am going to give you two of my favourite energy boosting smoothies that you can have every day to double your energy.

They contain a special combination of high-alkaline ingredients that will dramatically boost energy, while also supporting your body’s blood-sugar levels to prevent energy dips and fatigue.

If you’re currently suffering from fatigue, or just want more energy – these are an absolute MUST!

Energy Boosting Smoothie #1: The Green Energy Machine

energy smoothie ingredients

Ingredients

1/2 a ripe avocado
2 handfuls of spinach
1 handful of kale
½ cucumber
200ml almond milk
3 tbsp coconut oil
50g soaked almonds
25g soaked cashews
1 tbsp sunflower seeds
1 tbsp chia seeds

Instructions:

1. If you are reading this a few hours (at least) before you’re going to make this energy-booster, start by soaking your almonds and cashews for at least an hour or so, preferably overnight. If you want to make it now, try to soak them for at least 20 minutes!
  2. Start the blending with the avocado, liquids and cucumber
  3. Next add the oil and the leaves
  4. Finally add the soaked nuts, the seeds and blend at a high speed until smooth

the result!This smoothie tastes DELICIOUS!

If you want to make a little more creamy, add more almond milk OR substitute the almond milk for coconut cream.

Or you can even increase the ratio of cashews to almonds, as cashews generally make things more creamy!

This will give you a delicious, all-day energy boost because:

High Healthy Fat Content:

The inclusion of avocado, almond milk, almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, coconut oil and even the kale and spinach, means that only the cucumber is not high in omega oils.

Fats, and especially omega 3s are a class of food whose primary purpose is to provide the body with energy.

Consuming a diet rich in healthy fats (including the medium-chain fatty acids from coconut oil – these are metabolized differently by going straight to the liver from the digestive tract to be used directly as a source of energy).

High Protein Content:

This smoothie contains 17.3g per serve – not too bad for a 100% vegan, alkaline smoothie!

While protein does not directly lead to energy production, the combination of protein with fats and fibre is the combination to keep you feeling fuller for longer, leading to less unhealthy snacking, which leads to blood sugar spikes.

By feeling satiated throughout the day you are much more likely to have a consistent energy level, consistent energy production and are much less likely to turn to unhealthy, energy-zapping foods.

High Fibre Content:

Fibre (fiber) is an indispensible component in the energy production factory in the body. Fibre helps slow the breakdown of and absorption of sugar from high carb/high GI foods.

The fibre from the spinach, kale, nuts and seeds is awesome. You will be getting 11.5g of fibre per serve of this super-smoothie.

That’s almost half of your daily requirement for a woman, and over a third for a man!

Blood Sugar Balance:

Having a balanced blood sugar level is critical to having sustained energy.

Foods that lead to a strong, fast blood sugar peak after consumption are called high glycemic index foods. These foods may give a quick burst of energy for the first hour or so after eating them, but research shows that this energy burst often goes down just as quickly, resulting in a slump or low energy feeling within a couple of hours after the meal.

This smoothie is packed with low-glycemic index foods.

These foods release energy slowly, resulting in a smaller change in the blood sugar level and a steadier, longer lasting feeling of energy.

Nutrients for Energy Transfer & Storage:

the cells in our body that are responsible for energy production, transfer and storage require a wide range of nutrients to support their proper functioning.

This smoothie has all of them. B vitamins, magnesium, iron, sulphur, co-enzyme Q10, and heaps of other antioxidants, omega oils and more!

Imagine Consuming THIS SMOOTHIE Every Day!

Ross with the smoothieWith 11.5g of fibre, 17.3g of protein, 4 serves of alkaline greens, a huge range of vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, antioxidants, healthy fats, blood-sugar balancing, cell supporting goodness…

You can see why this smoothie leaves you feeling great with all-day-energy.

Tomorrow I will be posting my CHOCOLATE variation on this smoothie that is simply DELICIOUS!

Until then, join the conversation on Facebook or leave me a comment below!

I would be absolutely delighted to hear from you, answer your questions or hear YOUR energy smoothie recipe!

Keep in touch

—————————————————————————
Scientific Research & Sources:

Aw TY, Jones DP. Nutrient supply and mitochondrial function. Annu Rev Nutr. 1989;9:229-251. 1989. PMID:2669872. (link)

Lachance PA, Nakat Z, Jeong W-S. Antioxidants: an integrative approach. Nutrition. 2001;17:835-838. 2001. PMID:11684390. (link)

Ludwig DS. Dietary glycemic index and obesity. J Nutr. 2000;130:280S-283S. 2000. PMID:10721888. (link)

Manuel y Keenoy B, Moorkens G, Vertommen J, Noe M, Neve J, De Leeuw I. Magnesium status and parameters of the oxidant-antioxidant balance in patients with chronic fatigue: effects of supplementation with magnesium. J Am Coll Nutr. 2000;19(3):374-382. 2000. PMID:10872900. (link)

Protein Content of the Energy Smoothie (2 Serves)

Almond Milk: 1.5g
Avocado 2.2g
Kale 1.2g
Spinach 2.8g
Almonds 9.8g
Cashews 5.1g
Sunflower Seeds 5.9g
Chia 6.1g

Fibre Content of the Energy Smoothie (2 Serves)

Chia 11.3g
Avocado 3.1g
Spinach
Kale 1.3g
Cucumber 1.5g
Almonds 4.4g
Cashews 1.5g
Sunflower Seeds

How to Make a Smoothie that Doubles your Energy! by

Marietta October 29, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I read on a health site that raw Kale is harmful…what now..I love kale in all my soups and cooked dishes, even fry it a little in the oven

Ginnie September 10, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Hi I just read that you recommend Nature’s Sunshine Chlorophyll. I read the label and it contains methylparaben. Isn’t this a toxin that affects the estrogen level in the body? I bought a bottle of Chlorophyll Drops by Nature’s Way called Chlorofresh and it contains vegetable glycerine instead of the methylparaben. I’d like to hear why you recommend the Nature’s Sunshine brand.

Thanks,
Ginnie

Calen Meza August 24, 2014 at 1:21 am

I just plugged your smoothie ingredients into a nutrition counter and find it is 78% fat, 15% carb and 8% protein by calorie. Most health authorities agree now days that the optimal diet is a vegan diet in which total calorie consumption should be about 80% carb, 10% from healthy fats and 10% from protein.

Calen Meza August 24, 2014 at 1:11 am

You say in your post:

If that were the case don’t you think that peak performance athletes would be fatting up, consuming higher amounts of fats, before a competition? They do not! They carb up! If you want an abundance of energy my vote would be to carb up on healthy whole food carbs, fruits, vegetables, grains and starches but keeping the protein and fats only to moderate levels.

jon pinkston August 10, 2014 at 9:06 pm

What almond milk do people use? Silk almond milk contains mostly sugar. So this isn’t good for inflammation even though it is cane sugar taste really good.

Donna June 4, 2014 at 1:14 pm

hi Ross, I will make this shake this morning but I don’t have the chia seeds. I am a vegetarian and I have inflammation in my knee and I am going to try this diet to see if it helps. thank you

Lisa May 28, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Hi Ross, I new to this and wondered if it’s possible to make a few in advance. Will it still work the same if I prepare it on Monday for the entire week?
Lisa

Karen May 26, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Hey Ross,
I am eager to try your smoothie. When I make one I use organic baby spinach, blueberries and 1-2 bananas with a few ice cubes and 1-3 oz of water along with liquid aloe that I put in the cup.
I have a 15 yr. old daughter that has peanut and tree nut allergies and has a birch tree allergy, so can not consume and birch fruits; apples, pears peaches etc…, I am struggling to find a smoothie that she will like enough to drink at least 4-6 oz a few times a week that will provide her with some essential vitamins, fats and etc… Every time I come across a good smoothie, it has almond milk or nuts in it and I know that I can substitute out for other items, but the taste my suffer and then she won’t drink it.
Any combination suggestions that you may have will be greatly appreciated.
Have a fabulous day and thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Karen

Sanjela May 25, 2014 at 6:13 am

I like the jar in your hand. Do you sell that at energiseforlife?

Crystal L May 24, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Hi Ross, Love your site. The drink looks fabulous. Can’t wait to get the spinach and Kale. Have the other ingredients.

After I was diagnosed with BC I, instantly, gave up sugar and anything related to it. My happy place now is eat a banana or fresh pineapple with either walnuts or almonds and a chunk of Hershey’s unsweetened baking bar. It is wonderfully bitter but 100% cacao. My husband is a sugar nut and hated the taste I gave him of the chocolate bar. I, personally, love it and can’t wait to eat it, every day. It is my “treat”.

Did research on Agave and found it is worse than fructose corn syrup. They say stevia is safe, but I have not started using it or any other sugar substitute. At first I did not even eat fruit, but Nov 18 will be four years since diagnoses and I eat fruit, but not massive amounts. One treat a day if it is available, as mentioned above.

I, also, found out through research that Cassia cinnamon is a really bad consumable product, of which I, unfortunately, have eaten large amounts. Ceylon is the only cinnamon that should be consumed, as it is beneficial to the body and a cancer protection, unlike Cassia which is the opposite. Hopefully, I haven’t done damage in some way, to myself for these past three and a half years. You live and learn along the way with this dreaded issue.

Anyway, thanks. I am looking forward to the chocolate drink!!

Fran May 24, 2014 at 8:59 am

Do you have any juice suggestions that don’t include kale and spinach or cruciferrous vegetables. I have Hashimotos and my thyroid started feeling painful after juicing kale on a daily basis so I stopped. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks.

jeanne May 24, 2014 at 4:17 am

Hi, I have a Vitamix, would I still need to soak the nuts. Great sounding shake

Heather May 23, 2014 at 11:21 pm

I am new to your site, and loving it already! My morning shake /smoothie recipe is what I rely on to ‘wake me up’ – I don’t know now people eat a heavy breakfast and then carry on their day (ie: carbs & caffeine) … I would not have even half the energy to start my day. Thanks for the recipe, can’t wait to try this! :)

E May 23, 2014 at 11:19 pm

I do like you site, Ross. I gave up sugar about 25 years ago. Yes- I do have cravings… We are Then I usually buy one BIG dark chocolate (with nuts often) and I don’t want any sweets 3-4 months. I think I am one of the lucky. Just once in 3 month going mad. There must be a reason.Thankx.

Pepper Culpepper May 23, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Love this website! The recipes look great! Can’t wait to try one at home!

Adele May 23, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Your latest smoothie recipe looks good, as usual. Could you please give the conversion of grams and milliliters to teaspoons or cups? I live in the U.S. and even though my nutrition science degree was in the metric system, I never learned to cook that way.
Thank you!

rob May 24, 2014 at 12:54 am

I never understood how the Americans got a man to the moon using feet, inches, teaspoons and cups.

Jo May 23, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Hi is this smoothie a one serv or two serve with the ingredient receipe you just provided. And is it recommend to have it for breakie or lunch?

Jo

Anne May 23, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Since I have diverticulosis I can’t eat nuts. Don’t think the smaller nuts would cream up in the smoothie. Can I add anything else?

Grainne May 23, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Do you have a substitute for the nuts due to nut allergy??

Many thanks

jenn May 23, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Honestly! You are amazing Ross! Just made my day! And it’s already Friday so it’s hard to make it even better but you just did! Keep doing what you’re doing I’ve been following you for about 7 years and really admire what you do. Lots of love from Canada, Jenn (ps thanks for the hay house link I signed up straight away!)

lysa May 23, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Yuk

Raelene Hunt May 23, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Hi Ross, do you have a low FODMAP version of this smoothie?
Cheers
Raelene

Crystal Lynn May 23, 2014 at 12:50 pm

I wish it were tomorrow already. I can’t wait for the chocolate version!